Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Luang probang back to Thailand Islands?

• patricialal-
    onde

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2010

I am taking my family to Luang Probang via Chiang Mai and the two slow boats which is approximately three days of travel. We want to leave LP and head to the islands in Thailand (Phuket or Ko Samui) around Dec 20th. I have checked into flights, but for 5 people we are looking at over $2000US. Can anyone recommend a fairly quick route out that won't cost a fortune and take several days or any tips on finding cheap airline tickets? We would very much appreciate any help or insight.

#1 Posted: 18/11/2010 - 02:03

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

if you really want to do a quicker way, go to Vientianne and fly from there to Kuala Lumpur (76 usd) and from there you can fly to Phuket (57 usd). I've just found these on air asia, but there are a lot more I think.
    So this would be 133 usd/person so with 5 that's 665 usd. A lot less then your 2000 if you ask me.
    Though the other options are to go from Luang Prabang to Vientianne during the day, cross the border to Nong Khai and catch the night train to Bangkok. from there you can do whatever you like and you would only be on the road for 1 day and 1 night until BKK.

Though it can be hard to travel for a few days but it can be fun as well! if you have time I'd suggest to do it by land and stop by some places as Vientianne, Nong Khai, Khong Kaen, ...

#2 Posted: 18/11/2010 - 04:27

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Go to Vientiane, cross the Friendship Bridge, and go 55km to Udon Thani. Spend a night there then get the 8:55am flight on Air Asia to Bangkok arriving 10am. Then connecting Air Asia or other flight to the south (Phuket, Krabi, Surat Thani). About $100 per person if you get the cheaper fares.

Search for best base fares (not including tax) on http://www.airasiaplus.com
    Then book on http://www.airasia.com

You're travelling during peak season so book asap.

#3 Posted: 18/11/2010 - 16:00

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

No solution is cheap that can be done quickly. For Bob's solution, you will need one day's travelling to get to Vientiane. then cross the border and another 2 hours to Udon. You will be absolutely exhausted by the time you get to Udon Thani. You still need to get a hotel for the night and then fly to wherever you want. You won't save that much money, taking all this into account and you will waste heaps of time. The same goes for svenj's night train solution - more time is wasted. The best solution, if you don't want to take a flight to Bkk from Luang Prabang, is to fly to KL IF you can get the flights, and IF Air Asia don't reschedule on you.

#4 Posted: 19/11/2010 - 08:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Luang Probang to Chang Mai ... By ifoy6240 on 2 Dec 2006 5 2524 19 Feb 2007
Icon bar luang probang ... By duncmanoner on 31 Jan 2011 0 1854 31 Jan 2011
Chiang Rai to Luang Probang and return ... By ano_1 on 9 Sep 2009 5 2407 9 Sep 2009
Luang Prabang, back to Thailand ... By SybilVane on 4 Apr 2009 3 1959 5 Apr 2009
A 3 week trip from KL to southern thailand best beaches/islands ands back??? ... By Travel2013 on 15 Jan 2013 2 1709 15 Jan 2013
greek male travelling thailand - laos - cambodia - vietnam then back to thai islands....mar-june ... By greektraveller on 10 Feb 2011 0 2169 10 Feb 2011