Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Arrival in Luang Prabang

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

We'll be flying from BKK-LP. Is it easy to catch a taxi into town from the airport? What should we expect to pay?
    Would it be less of a hassle and more economical to pre-arrange pickup from the airport from a guesthouse if we pre-book our accomodation?

Finally, how long should we expect to take to clear customs, find our bags and make it into town?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 30/11/2006 - 22:51

• Advertisement

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

This is based on last August and on my not very good memory... but...

There is a fixed price for a taxi (well acutally tuk-tuk) if you use the airport booking desk - which you will probably have too as there aren't many tuk-tuks floating about IIRC. This costs $5. I had to collect my parents from the airport and negotiated a $4 tuk-tuk for a round trip and when we headed back negotiated a $3 (I think) tuk-tuk back... We actually upped it to $5 both times as the drivers were very helpful and waited when needed.

If the guesthouse offers pickup it would probably be worth it... I've never booked in advance though and always found somewhere when I've arrived.

The tuk tuk takes around 20-30 mins to the river.

Customs and collecting your bags takes no time - it's a really tiny airport - 3 check-in desks for example. What does take time is arranging your visa on arrival if you need it - you join one queue, then another and another. If you are near the back of the plane, and hence queue, it can take 30-40mins to sort your visa out!

Hope this helps!
    Mark.

#2 Posted: 1/12/2006 - 03:57

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

Thanks Mark. That's helpful info. Maybe we'll try to get seats at the front of the plane so that we can get a jump satart on the visa line!
    Cheers!

#3 Posted: 1/12/2006 - 05:11

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey amz155,

I remember paying a pretty flat rate of $5/50,000kip/200baht too. It isn't such a good deal, but it isn't very much compared to the cost of the airplane ride either. That $5 gets you to pretty much any destination in town.

Like Mark said, the people who already had their Lao visas zipped through customs and immigration and we out of the airport probably in less than 10 minutes after we landed (I was on a flight from Chiang Mai). We were the last ones in the visa-on-arrival line, and it took right about the 40 minutes Mark said to get through the several queues. Cheers.

#4 Posted: 1/12/2006 - 10:52

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

Not a problem - although if you are trying to jump the queue, you probably wants seats at the back of the plane. The turbo-props that fly in to LP (at least in the case of Bangkok Airways) unload and load from the back.

Hope this helps a little! Enjoy your trip - Luang Prabang is an amazing place, definitely one of my favourites!

Cheers
    Mark.

#5 Posted: 2/12/2006 - 03:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
money questions re arrival in Luang Prabang ... By EdwardTrunk on 10 Jan 2014 5 1121 12 Jan 2014
Any change to 'visa on arrival' at Luang Prabang airport? ... By EdwardTrunk on 2 Jan 2014 2 1112 27 Jan 2014
Visa on Arrival Siem Reap-Luang Prabang ... By callarda on 2 Jun 2010 3 3444 2 Jun 2010
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9375 19 Aug 2011