Flag of Laos

Laos forum

*Urgent* question about Lao Air

• glomer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

This is a repost. I am having no end of problems getting Vietnam Air to honor my ticket from Hanoi to Luang Prabang because of a change of name/passport number due to marriage. The exact same flight is offered by Lao Air. Is it safe to purchase tickets via their website? I know there have been problems in the past, but am not sure what the current situation is. We are scheduled to leave for our honeymoon in a couple of weeks, and I'm afraid of getting stuck in Hanoi. Please advise!

#1 Posted: 20/11/2010 - 00:18

• Advertisement

• glomer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

*bump*

Anybody??

I'm now having a US-based travel agent look into purchasing the Lao Air tickets (rather than using the website), but if their whole ticketing operation is wonky, perhaps this is not more secure.

I could book a different flight on Vietnam Air to LP, but would lose the better part of a day there.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Posted: 20/11/2010 - 05:22

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

It is perfectly safe to book on the Lao Airlines web site. It is prefectly safe to fly with them and i have done so more than 30 times. They are one of the better regional airlines around and I would prefer to fly with them than many US domestic carriers. By the way, Vietnam and Lao Airlines code share..

#3 Posted: 20/11/2010 - 07:58

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Glomer:

You may have a larger problem here. If your air tickets say one thing (Ms. Jane Glomer) and your passport now reads differently (Mrs. Jane Smith), you may have an issue getting on an airplane in the US to begin with. I would start by calling the airline you will be on leaving the US (I am assuming from what you wrote that you are starting in America), explain the whole thing and see what they say/recommend.

As for Lao Airlines, I agree with Rufus. Flown them before. Very good little airline.

#4 Posted: 20/11/2010 - 10:35

• glomer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

Ugh, thanks so much Rufus and Archmichael. After "talking" with folks about it here, I'm now totally comfortable flying Lao Air; I just worried because of the long post re. problems with the website. Glad to hear that all is now okay.... If we're able to get a full refund with Vietnam, we're going to cancel and start over again with Lao.

But, yes, Archmichael, you are right that is all is not okay with my first flight from San Francisco to Hanoi. We're going to contact China Air about it tomorrow. I'm hoping the fact that they have a real US/local operation--with a ticket desk, customer service, etc.--vs. Vietnam Air, which, it turns out, has no such presence in the States, will help.

I hope other honeymooners on this site will learn from my mistake.

#5 Posted: 20/11/2010 - 11:26

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Have you changed your name in the passport? What my ex used to do is to have both names xxxx nee xxxx in the passport. Alternatively take along a stat dec saying that you had a name change due to marriage.

#6 Posted: 20/11/2010 - 12:57

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Good point, Rufus. You might consider taking a photocopy of your marriage license and any official name-change paperwork as well. Just in case.

#7 Posted: 20/11/2010 - 22:28

• glomer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

Thanks, you guys. Regardless of what happens, I'm going to bring my two passports to the gate, as well as our marriage certificate. Sometimes this post-911 security business is a real drag.

#8 Posted: 21/11/2010 - 01:59

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Hi Glomer:

Best luck with your flights and happy honeymoon!

Let us know how you fare with the ticket/passport issue. This is an issue that is just going to get bigger, I fear. (To say nothing of the new "pat down" thing at US airports.)

#9 Posted: 21/11/2010 - 08:23

• glomer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

Thanks, Archmichael. I will post a trip report, including end-of-ticket saga details. Thanks again to both you and Rufus for your feedback.

#10 Posted: 21/11/2010 - 11:09

• Advertisement

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Glad to help.

Happy travels.

#11 Posted: 21/11/2010 - 11:35

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Yes, let us know what happens. Chock dee. (Lao for "good luck).

#12 Posted: 21/11/2010 - 14:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Urgent Vietnam visa question ... By sirknigget on 19 Feb 2014 3 1497 5 Mar 2014