Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Hot dry season

• Millsze84

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2010

Hello,

Im thinking about visiting Laos at the start of April in the hot dry season. I have read that there is a problem with smoke at that time of year. Has anyone been to Laos during April? Is it a deal breaker?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 21/11/2010 - 14:12

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I suppose you could say I have been here for the hot season, as i have lived here for 5 years. Mind you, its hot now.
    Yes, there will still be a bit of smoke around, but not too much by this stage. However, it will be stinking hot. Are you aware of this? Last hot season was almost unbearable and you will definitely need to book a hotel with a pool and also to limit your sightseeing to the morning and the late afternoon.

#2 Posted: 21/11/2010 - 15:00

• agarlao

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2008

I live in a rural area near Vientiane surrounded by rice fields. Smoke is not a big problem and I certainly wouldn't call it a 'deal breaker'. The heat? Well, I've lived here for 20 years without air conditioning or a swimming pool, but I have to say that during that time of year, I never want to be far away from an electric fan.

#3 Posted: 22/11/2010 - 07:39

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The smoke/haze issue which typically peaks out in mid-March usually gets cleared with the first rains which tend to come in... early April. Whether or not those first rains will have actually come by the time of your visit next year remains unknown. Haze issues aside though, April is typically the hottest month of the year with daytime highs pushing 42C/115F sometimes, but nights are still cool in the high spots above 1000m. Stick around for Pii Mai Lao (new year) in mid-April for a cooling off! See some pics of north Laos scenery in late March here to get some idea of the air quality. The haze actually makes for nice sunset pics (at 3 in the afternoon).

Flickr

#4 Posted: 22/11/2010 - 19:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.