Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Worst place to eat in Luang Prabang

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

has to be the Coconut Restaurant - incredibly BAD FOOD! My papaya salad tasted like sauerkraut with fish sauce, and my Cantonese noodles looked more like an Italian pasta dish that was badly overcooked. Never again!

I intend to eat again at the Night Market Buffet because the food was fresh and tasty (not to mention cheap and healthy).

#1 Posted: 27/11/2010 - 11:22

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Try any street stall that attempts western dishes, especially sandwich/burger bars in late afternoon when the mayo or pre-cooked egg has sat around all day. Potential quick weight-loss program when you get food poisoning and can't hold food down for 3 or 4 days whilst constantly leaking water from 2 or more orifices. Actually the worst I had in Laos was a coconut pancake, maybe due to the rancid margarine or whatever had been cooked in the same pan that day.

#2 Posted: 28/11/2010 - 00:42

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm back here in Hanoi now, and really miss that good Swedish pizza I had at Scandinavian Bakery. Seems to me that Vietnamese standards of cleanliness are also pretty poor. For instance, my 2* hotel here has this buffet breakfast which is pretty good, except the plates are half clean and the tables are greasy.

#3 Posted: 4/12/2010 - 15:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Bob
    I tend to avoid street food period - for the reasons you cited. It's not as if you can't get sick in Asia eating Asian food. Sloppy health habits are sloppy health habits. Some western food requires a bit more preservation - although certainly not all.

#4 Posted: 4/12/2010 - 16:57

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

It's not just street food. The worst I had was after a seafood meal in Manila at a supposed really good restaurant. I thought I was going to die.

#5 Posted: 5/12/2010 - 13:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Rufus
    Indeed. It took me about six months here to figure out which places are OK to eat, and which are not. That's a luxury, of course, that transients just don't have.

#6 Posted: 7/12/2010 - 12:09

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Six months? Takes me about sixty seconds, I ask a local. Mac, don't you speak the language? Good golly Ms. Molly.

#7 Posted: 8/12/2010 - 07:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Ask a local? You think I trust these guys opinions on anything Somsai? Are you kidding me? Like I said in another, unrelated post, God knows I love 'em, but Thais and I don't regard things like cuisine in quite the same manner - ditto for driving. The indigenous persons here are, well, we are definitely different in a number of areas. What they think is good, and what I think is good, are two different things. Also, yes, I speak Thai, but I speak it badly. So nuanced questions are out. For a lot of people here, good means cheap. Now, after living here a while, I know a number of people who's opinions on the subject I would be inclined to trust. But it took a long time to meet those people.

#8 Posted: 8/12/2010 - 10:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Luang Prabang place to write ... By sgchaplowe on 12 Nov 2012 9 1675 4 Jan 2013
Place between Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang ... By Lars on 11 Oct 2007 5 5027 17 Oct 2007
Looking for a place to rent in Luang Prabang- Anyone has any contacts? ... By AnjaFenzlein on 31 Oct 2012 2 892 6 Nov 2012
Bali, the worst place in the world? ... By altmtl on 27 Sep 2012 9 2644 5 Nov 2012
a cool place to stay in Luang Prabang and also dirt bike trekking in Laos? ... By rapunzel on 24 Jun 2008 4 3165 16 Jul 2008
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9431 19 Aug 2011