Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Luang Prabang to Pakse to Don Kohn -> in one day?

• cdwy0142

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2010

Hi everyone -

I'll be spending a few weeks in Laos (from Dec 8 to Dec 21) and I was wondering if it was possible to get from LP down to Don Khon and the 4000 islands in one day.

I am booked on the Laos Air flight from LP to Pakse which gets in at 12:30PM.

I am wondering if that is too late to get the bus or a sawngthaew down to Ban Nakasang from the 8KM bus terminal in Pakse?

The LP guide says that transport is available until 3PM I am just wondering if in reality (and given the vagaries of 3rd world transport) this is a doable trip.

Also, I am assuming that there is nothing to see in Pakse and that I should be moving on ASAP.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Safe travels

Chris

#1 Posted: 28/11/2010 - 17:53

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I'd say you'll probably make if you get to the 8km bus station by around 2-3pm, but I'd also add that trying to time-slice like this goes contrary to the "Laos way". Stay a night in Pakse and see what it has to offer (I enjoyed a few nights around there - rent a moto and ride up to the Bolaven plateau). It's otherwise kind of bizarre to hurry up and rush to 4000 islands, then what? Ride a bike, lie in a hammock, open a beer and stick yer toe in the Mekong. One lazy day blends into the next which is how it should be on sii phan don.

#2 Posted: 29/11/2010 - 00:39

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Yes it is possible, but I would stay in Pakse for the night.

#3 Posted: 29/11/2010 - 07:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Luang Prabang > Pakse ... By emma066 on 10 Jan 2010 8 9747 11 Jan 2010
Alternative option for Luang Prabang - Pakse trip ... By jennyk80 on 21 Jan 2012 2 1284 21 Jan 2012
Comments to my route: Luang Prabang, Pakse and Ko Maak ... By nadineurban on 15 Nov 2009 1 2889 16 Nov 2009
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9256 19 Aug 2011