Flag of Laos

Laos forum

FOR THE LAOS EXPERTS

• mysticpaki

Joined Travelfish
    24th April, 2006

FOR THE LAOS EXPERTS:) Where would you recommend for a 40 year old young at heart couple to celebrate valentines day dinner with some dancing at a romantic location in Vientaine and Vanvieng???
    Please advise names of some beautiful clean newish places for staying for 20 to 25 usd
    Cheers

#1 Posted: 29/11/2010 - 18:05

• Advertisement

• Sethlake

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2010
    Total reviews: 4

As a "young at heart" couple in your 40s, you will have fun time enjoy and laughing at the entertainment, activities, lifestyle, and debauchery in vang vieng. That being said, there are the perfect places for what your looking for that aren't necessarily right in all the action. I'm not sure on names, but there are several more upscale spots in vang vieng. Take a look at Travelfish's page about vang vieng accommodation. In general there are some great spots more up stream than all the action. These are located along the river a good distance, but walkable from the center of town. There are also several worth checking out downstream from "the action".

The take home message here is that there are TONS of options and I think exactly what your looking for in vang vieng. So don't rush to find your spot for the night, and take your time exploring before you make your decision. For example, last time my brother and I were there we booked a room for 2 hours and dropped off all our heavy stuffy and went exploring before we settled on the perfect spot. Which for us was one of the raised bungalows on the little party island haha.

Good Luck!

#2 Posted: 21/12/2010 - 06:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I don't think Laos has much of a dance scene at all - at least not social dancing. A little line dancing, a little show dance... that's about it as far as I can tell.

#3 Posted: 21/12/2010 - 21:32

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

You should go sometime Mac.

When the sun goes down in Vang Vien dancing, clubbing, and hooking up, is very popular, it's why many go.

OP I've heard good things about the Elephant Something or other, six stories high it should be easy enough to research. VV has best value hotels in Laos. Most who have spent a lot of time in Laos aren't too expert on dancing and upscale hotels, it doesn't attract that type of crowd, that's why the long delay on answers.

Dancing is mostly the funky chicken, not much ballroom.

#4 Posted: 21/12/2010 - 23:19

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I'll probably go eventually for the swimming, which I admit looks entertaining. When I do, though, I'll take one of my dancers with me so I can really dance. My wife is cool with that, I've done it before on road trips. I'm a pretty serious dancer - which you've probably figured out by now.

#5 Posted: 22/12/2010 - 00:20

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Actually Lao has a big dance scene, but it is Lao dancing.

#6 Posted: 22/12/2010 - 08:38

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Rufus
    Laos dancing isn't a social dance. Just like Thai dancing isn't a social dance. Just like Flamenco isn't a social dance. Those are performance dances. You don't go to clubs to go Lao dancing. The closest the Laos have as a quasi indigenous dance (and it ain't indigenous) is Basilo. I have encountered a few Lao who dance Cha cha cha and other dances of the ballroom rubric, but the emphasis is on few and the stylistics are stiff and formal.

#7 Posted: 22/12/2010 - 09:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
For The Laos Experts:) ... By mysticpaki on 6 Oct 2010 0 1115 6 Oct 2010