Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Buying a phone to use in Luang Prabang

Posted by glomer on 4/12/2010 at 00:44

We need to be accessible by phone while in LP (the grandparents will be at home in California with our son), and I'm wondering if it would be easier/cheaper to purchase a phone/simcard in Hanoi vs. LP itself. Any advice? Thanks!

#1 glomer has been a member since 23/2/2010. Posts: 86

Posted by somsai on 4/12/2010 at 03:38

Ask your guest house/hotel to have a tuk tuk take you to a local market. Get a used one and have them activate the sim card for you and install some minutes. Probably $30 US tops. Give them your new number when you call your folks.

Going to the market is something a lot of people like to do anyway, photos and unusual food items.

#2 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 567

Posted by glomer on 4/12/2010 at 06:23

A used phone...interesting. Thanks for the advice. Do you think this kind of purchase is doable at a local market without speaking Lao?

#3 glomer has been a member since 23/2/2010. Posts: 86

Posted by Rufus on 4/12/2010 at 08:33

Yes it is possible without speaking Lao. However there are also many phone shops around town which sell used phones,
Another possibility is to buy a copy phone. Some of them are of decent quality, and you can get an i phone 4 for about $90. The latest Nokia is also available.
A third possibility is to buy a new real phone. They are all unlocked and are cheaper than in many western countries.

#4 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by somsai on 4/12/2010 at 18:40

Glomer there is a very high probability that anyone you buy a phone from will speak a few languages, the first couple being some sort of Chinese. Last guy I bought a phone from spoke better English than I speak Lao, that's not saying much but I hardly ever speak English to Lao people.

I like the extremely simple, durable as in bomb proof, Nokia. Wish it worked here.

#5 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 567

Posted by glomer on 5/12/2010 at 03:45

Thanks for the replies, Rufus & Somsai!

#6 glomer has been a member since 23/2/2010. Posts: 86

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.