Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Laos more expensive than Thailand??

• middleman1

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2006

Hi there
    My son and his girlfriend have just arrived in Laos - now in Luang Prabang. From emails I have received he is a bit shocked at how much more expensive it is in Laos than Thailand. Is he correct here as I have seen no 'posts' expressing this view!! Maybe he is doing something wrong!!

Anyone else been that have found it expensive?

Thanks for a great site. I love Thailand and am keen to see more of SE Asia so I would be interested to know as welll.

Sue

#1 Posted: 6/12/2006 - 15:01

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Sue,

Welcome to Travelfish!

I'd say as a general rule, Laos is a little cheaper than Thailand, but Luang Prabang, with its excellent restaurants, great guesthouses and loads and loads and loads of things to spend money on, can become a bit of a budget buster. Your son probably isn't doing anything wrong, rather he's probably just really enjoying Luang Prabang...

Outside of LP and Vang Vieng, Laos remains a very affordable destination.

Glad to hear you like the site!

#2 Posted: 6/12/2006 - 15:44

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Sue,

I've always noticed that to maintain the same standard of living that I enjoy in Thailand (I lean strongly towards flashpacker most days), that I spend a bit more money is Laos than I do in Thailand. Plus, since prices at tourist places are either quoted in or keyed to US$, there is that exchange rate price creep.

Having said that, anyone wanting to really go budget should be able to spend a bit less money in Laos.

I also think that Somtam is right about Luang Prabang having so many great and interesting things to do that it is easy to blow one's budget there in not many days. And Vang Vieng, while not dirt cheap, is still pretty great value for money. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 11/12/2006 - 11:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Laos seems Expensive! ... By TheNewGuy8 on 6 Nov 2010 42 7614 17 Nov 2010