Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Itinary advice appreciated

• tpurple

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2010

Hello,

What a great and very helpful forum! I am planning a trip to Laos and Vietnam for 4 weeks March/April 2011. With only 4 weeks there is far too much that i want to see, so am having trouble narrowing it down. I will by flying in/out of KL, definitely finishing at HCMC, however i am not sure, depending on what route i take whether to fly KL to Chaing Mai or KL to Vientiane. Below is my rough plan at the moment, if anyone could provide any advice as to 1) whether this will be realistic - i.e. is this too much travelling to enjoy myself, 2) what would be best to cut down/leave out, better alternatives, it would be very much appreciated.

14/3 fly KL to Chaing Mai
    15/3 bus KL to Huay Xai
    16-18/3 Gibbon Experience
    18/3 Overnight Bus to Luang Prabang
    19-21/3 Luang Prabang
    22/3 Bus Luang Prabang to Nong Khiaw
    23/3 Nong Khiaw
    24/3 Boat to Muang Khua (how likely is it that this boat will leave this day or the next day?)
    25/3 Muang Khua to Vietnam Border (Dien Bien Phu)
    26/3 Dien Bein Phu to Hanoi (Possibly Fly - would it be possible to purchase flights at the airport on the day?)
    26-30/3 Hanoi/Halong Bay
    30/3 Overnight train to Danang
    31-2/4 Hoi Ann/surrounding beach
    2/4 overnight train/bus to Nha Trang
    3-5/4 Nha Trang
    5/4 overnight to HCMC
    6/4 HCMC
    7/4 fly HCMC to KL

I am keen to spend some beach days at the end of the trip, but if i am running out of time I think i will skip either Hoi Ann or Nha Trang and catch a flight either Hanoi to Nha Trang, of Danang to HCMC. Any advice on which is the better of the two options? Also, how late could i leave buying plane tickets internal of Vietnam?

Sorry if this is two much to ask - I would appreciate any response/advice even to one of my questions.

Thanks so much.

#1 Posted: 11/12/2010 - 09:17

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Hi,

Can not comment on the first part of the trip but skipping Hoi An sounds like a bad plan. Take out Nha Trang out of the itinerary and plan for more nights in Hoi An since you can also visit the beach there while also enjoying Hoi An town.
    If you run out of time you could shorten the Hoi An part but still enjoy both town and beach. Visit town in morning and spend afternoon on beach

Nha Trang is more about general beachlife (including parties and lazing around) but not much else to do regarding history and so on. So it's comes down to personal preference.

good luck

#2 Posted: 11/12/2010 - 11:52

• tpurple

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2010

Thanks for the reply eastwest, hoi an definitely sounds like a must see destination for vietnam. I was leaning more toward visiting hoi an, if i have to rule one out, as it has the beach as well as lots more.

Can anyone offer any advice about the feasibility of the Laos part of my plan?

#3 Posted: 15/12/2010 - 13:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travelling Southeast Asia, budget and itinary HELP much appreciated ... By DD1987 on 4 Apr 2014 4 1172 9 Apr 2014
Itinary/advice for cambodia ... By lonetraveldiver on 9 Nov 2010 3 2713 11 Nov 2010
Tricky Itinary - need advice!!?! ... By HollyN on 2 Aug 2012 1 1127 2 Aug 2012
Itinary Advice for Newbie ... By HollyN on 16 Jul 2012 6 1767 20 Jul 2012
Northern Laos Itinary Advice ... By reece on 12 Nov 2010 4 2487 10 Dec 2010
travel partner/itinary advice, needed for northern laos -trekking ,village stay, cycling ... By santos_g15 on 17 Mar 2011 1 2719 19 Mar 2011