Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Car Rental in Laos (Pakse)

• Sethlake

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2010
    Total reviews: 4

Are there any updates on renting a jeep type vehicle in Pakse? I would like to do this for my family but it appears impossible to do without a driver.

How difficult is it to take a car across the border (Thai-Laos @ Chong Mek). Would you have to pay all sorts of duties and need paperwork proving its your car etc?

#1 Posted: 21/12/2010 - 06:40

• Advertisement

• orlavanh

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2011

Hey Sethlake

maybe you can think about renting a car in Vientiane and ask them to delivery a car to you in Pakse, and check with them if you can leave a car in Thailand, just ask them for collection, there are a lot of car rental company in Laos,,,,,,,but i suggest you to check with Europcar laos, because i think they are the only one that can let you have self drive and can let you across the border.......

#2 Posted: 15/2/2011 - 16:56

• peter27

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2010

Most of the car rental companies that Iknow do not offer cross border car rental facility. In Pakse itselfyou will find many car rental providers as the public transportationis not so good there.

#3 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 19:47

• stevo0601

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2014

There is now a euopcar rental company now in pakse, you can rent and drive yourself, all the cars are new and you can request a car that comes with a car passport to cross borders, my wife is from near pakse and we rented a car so I could take her across the border to a good hospital in Thailand for her to give birth to out child, the border crossing is quick and painless, just requires a few stamps in the car passport and a small fee is to be paid. You can stay for up to 30 days, when you rent the car and it has a car passport it will have the insurance certificate in the vehicle with it, you just need to copy and show proof of the cars insurance at the border crossings,

If you are going to rent a car I recommend one of the 4x4 pick up trucks, the roads are very bad and have terrible potholes, the potholes I hit at speed would of smashes a normal car suspension to pieces but I was ok, the insurance excess you have to pay in case of an accident is around 1500 aussie dollars so it's best to be safe

#4 Posted: 3/2/2014 - 16:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
ATV/Jeep Rental Pakse ... By bass_ke on 8 Nov 2009 5 4603 5 Dec 2009
Motorcycle rental in Pakse ... By scomoore1 on 5 Mar 2008 26 12461 1 Dec 2009