• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Hey all,

If I have the time after my trip through the Bolaven Plateau I thought that I'd unwind down in Si Phon Don. I've been reading up on the islands, and though the big island ( Don Khon g) sounds the easiest to get to and away, I think I'm more in the mood for one of the smaller ones (Don Khon or Don Dhet ).

There is a lot of information available on both these islands - and though Don Khon is 'more Lao' I wonder if after traveling for about two weeks on the Plateau I may rather stay on Don Dhet and head over to Don Khon during the day for lunch and exploration. I understand budget options are better on Don Dhet though food is better on Don Khon - as well, Don Dhet sounds like its turning into a giant party and though I'd like to socialize I dont' really want to be overrun with mushroom pizza and mescaline shakes.

Sounds it all sounds pretty tit-for-tat from everything I've been reading and I'd love to get any recommendations from people who have been to these islands (especially around January/February).

#1 Posted: 22/12/2010 - 09:01

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Most of the mushroom shake No Woman No Cry scene is around the north end of Don Det so you could stay near the bridge on southern Don Det or on Don Khon and have the balance you seek. Then after you've had enough laolao and Jack Johnson you can stumble home and actually sleep. Don Khong the big island is nice if you're less interested in partying with other tourists in favor of solitude and space to really stretch your legs.

#2 Posted: 23/12/2010 - 17:37

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Thanks Captain - just the sort of zone advice I was looking for. I think I'll stretch my legs enough and I've usually found stays on big islands not what I'm looking for in "islands". South end of Don Dhet, a good proximity to start at and that will allow me to socialize a bit after my friend has left me to wander alone.

#3 Posted: 23/12/2010 - 20:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.