Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Laos: cash advance in bank

Posted by WinstonRumfoord on 7/1/2011 at 23:37

With the low cash limit on cash advances from ATMs has anyone done cash advances on a credit card from within a bank in Laos?
I think all you need is card and passport.
I don't know if you get the same exchange rate, or
what the charges might be, or
if there are any security issues.
Can you do them at small banks in the provinces without ATMs?

#1 WinstonRumfoord has been a member since 6/1/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by Rufus on 8/1/2011 at 13:17

ANZV has a bigger ATM limit of up to 2,000,000 Kip. However they have a 50,000Kp charge.

#2 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by captainpants on 12/1/2011 at 01:15

NOOOOOOOOO!!! Don't do it. I used to work for a credit card company - you will get charged interest on the cash withdrawn even if you pay it off in full and its normally alot higher than the purchase rate on your credit card.

Not going Laos until April/May so not sure about the withdrawals using a debit card. Is it a bit like Cambodia where you can use US$? Might be worth looking around this site and seeing if they do as bigger purchases could be purchased this way?

#3 captainpants has been a member since 4/1/2011. Posts: 4

Posted by busylizzy on 12/1/2011 at 06:46

Captain - I don't think interest is charge if you transfer the money to your credit card first, and ensure that there is a zero balance at the time you withdraw the cash. At least I didn't have any charges from my NZ bank. Only did it twice though as I needed particularly large amounts, but I didn't have any interest charges on my statement.

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by altmtl on 23/6/2012 at 06:11

I withdrew thai baht from an Aeon ATM in Thailand before going to Laos and changed it to Kip.

#5 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.