Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Laos: cash advance in bank

• WinstonRumf-
    oord

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2011

With the low cash limit on cash advances from ATMs has anyone done cash advances on a credit card from within a bank in Laos?
    I think all you need is card and passport.
    I don't know if you get the same exchange rate, or
    what the charges might be, or
    if there are any security issues.
    Can you do them at small banks in the provinces without ATMs?

#1 Posted: 7/1/2011 - 23:37

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

ANZV has a bigger ATM limit of up to 2,000,000 Kip. However they have a 50,000Kp charge.

#2 Posted: 8/1/2011 - 13:17

• captainpants

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2011

NOOOOOOOOO!!! Don't do it. I used to work for a credit card company - you will get charged interest on the cash withdrawn even if you pay it off in full and its normally alot higher than the purchase rate on your credit card.

Not going Laos until April/May so not sure about the withdrawals using a debit card. Is it a bit like Cambodia where you can use US$? Might be worth looking around this site and seeing if they do as bigger purchases could be purchased this way?

#3 Posted: 12/1/2011 - 01:15

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Captain - I don't think interest is charge if you transfer the money to your credit card first, and ensure that there is a zero balance at the time you withdraw the cash. At least I didn't have any charges from my NZ bank. Only did it twice though as I needed particularly large amounts, but I didn't have any interest charges on my statement.

#4 Posted: 12/1/2011 - 06:46

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I withdrew thai baht from an Aeon ATM in Thailand before going to Laos and changed it to Kip.

#5 Posted: 23/6/2012 - 06:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Exchanging USD/HKD cash funds vs With-drawing from ATM/Bank Machine ... By ryder80 on 23 Apr 2011 0 2163 23 Apr 2011
which bank have lowest surchage for cash withdraw by visa credit card ... By sandyyou on 20 Apr 2007 0 2685 20 Apr 2007