Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Thai Visa Run to Laos - New Question

• spicytravel-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2011

I need to go to Vientienne to apply for a Thai Visa this Wednesday and I currently live in Chiang Mai .

What is the fastest and most convenient way to get there? I hope to take a bus or mini-bus overnight but :

1. Is it better to plan it through a travel company or go to Arcade Bus Station and figure it out on my own?

2. Which border crossing should I go to? Nong Khai or Chiang Kong/Huay Xai? What's the difference?

3. Is is possible to leave Chiang Mai on Wed night and get into Laos and through Thai immigration in Vientienne before 12pm on Thursday?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 10/1/2011 - 14:39

• Advertisement

• francesstel-
    la

Click here to learn more about francesstella
    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2009
    Location Italy

Hey ST,

1. I'm fairly sure you'll be able to buy a ticket directly at Arcade Bus Station and avoid any extra charges.
    2. The Nong Khai crossing is a short distance from Vientiane. I'd cross here if you're on a tight schedule. Crossing North at Huay Xai means trudging halfway through Laos by bus and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have ample time to enjoy it.

I'm curious - you need to go to Laos to apply for a Thai visa? Any feedback on how this works would be appreciated as I might be moving to CM too in a few months!

Thanks,

FSH

#2 Posted: 10/1/2011 - 21:45

• LaoNow

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2010

The fastest and best way is to go to Arcade Bus station yourself the morning of departure or the day before and buy a ticket to Udon Thani on the night bus that leaves at 19:00 or 20:00. These buses get full and you shouldn't risk trying to get on them just before they depart without a reservation. Then change to a Nong Khai bus in Udon Thani at the same bus staion for a 1.5 hour trip to Nong Khai and get out on the outside of Nong Khai to catch a Tuk Tuk to the bridge at the border. It's possible to get to the Thai Consulate in Vientiane before they close at noon the day you arrive but you need to push things and charter a tuk tuk direct from the Laos immigration checkpoint to the Thai Consulate (not the Thai embassy). Sometimes they close the gate at 11:00 or 11:30 if there's a crowd so move fast. Francesstella - yes you need to leave Thailand to apply for a Thai visa and go to some big city like Vientiane where there is a Thai consulate or embassy, don't ask me why. You can always get a 15 day visa on arrival by going to any border crossing and coming back in, but the 2 month visa must be obtained at a Thai Consulate or Embassy.

#3 Posted: 11/1/2011 - 13:31

• spicytravel-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2011

Thank you, both. This definitely helps.

FSH- Chiang Mai is great, you will love it here! But LaoNow is correct in that you have to apply for a visa outside of Thailand... but I didn't know there's a difference between the consulate and the embassy. Are you sure I can't head to the embassy when I get into Vientienne?

#4 Posted: 11/1/2011 - 16:14

• francesstel-
    la

Click here to learn more about francesstella
    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2009
    Location Italy

Cheers for the feedback to both! Useful stuff to know :)

FSH

#5 Posted: 11/1/2011 - 22:26

• eljefe

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2008

Just so you know, there have been two bus crashes in the past month on the overnight bus from CM to Udon Thani. The ThaiVisa website has all the info you should need.

#6 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 18:35

• eljefe

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2008

Just so you know, there have been two bus crashes in the past month on the overnight bus from CM to Udon Thani. The ThaiVisa website has all the info you should need.

#7 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 18:35

• eljefe

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2008

#8 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 18:36

• vietnamrum

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

francesstella

if you go to laos for a holiday of your visa has finished you pay for 30 days in laos. You can then turn around and go back to thailand. Since this is an overland crossing you now get 15 days.

Going to the Thai Consulate you get a 2 month visa. Because of the problems last year they were giving away these 2 month tourist visas.
    I dont know if they still are.

You can apply for a multi trips. Of the free tousist visa i was able to get 2 entry * 2 month visa. this allows you back into thailand for 2 months then you exit to laos (pay laos visa) then back into to thailand for 2 more months.

go to the embassy morning time with your passport and photos and payment. You can collect the next afternoon.

LaoNow covered a part of this.

enjoy

#9 Posted: 11/2/2011 - 22:35

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

local bus from CM to Udon is way easier, never filled up, and no tourists on it.

@LaoNow don't know how you took a bus from Udon to Nong Khai that takes 1.5 h?
    I took it like maybe 40 times by now and it only takes me 45 mins (1h MAX). even less on the motorbike. Though you are right that you have to get of at the beginning of town (preferably somewhere near tesco as you have to go the other way than the bus is going to get to the bridge.

@ spicy, seems like you want to be back the next day in Thailand. As you're living in CM you must have time enough, why not take a few days in Laos, such a beautiful country.

#10 Posted: 12/2/2011 - 03:08

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thai visa question ... By Shaneo88 on 12 Jul 2011 8 2506 14 Jul 2011
another thai visa question! ... By psridley7 on 2 Nov 2009 2 1855 5 Nov 2009
Another Thai Visa Question ... By trippymctwist on 5 Jun 2007 2 2442 8 Jun 2007
New Thai Visa question. ... By Robersovic on 27 Sep 2012 8 2222 2 Oct 2012
Thai visa question! ... By Shaneo88 on 6 Sep 2011 1 2113 7 Sep 2011
Quick Question-Thai Visa ... By cheeco on 16 Dec 2009 1 2428 4 May 2010
Thai VISA in Phnom Penh - Required documents question ... By kristoffer_zaar on 24 Nov 2010 2 3278 25 Nov 2010
Another Laos visa question ... By steveandlesley on 14 Jun 2007 3 2098 8 Jul 2007