Flag of Laos

Laos forum

safe place to leave luggage in pakse/champasak?

• betsbillabo-
    ng

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2011

dear travelers,

for complicated reasons (i'm doing research), i am traveling with a laptop and some heavy coffee table books. i'm in pakse now and headed to xepong, attapeu, and hopefully some very small villages in between. i'd rather not travel with the laptop and books, obviously!

is there anywhere safe to keep left luggage in pakse or champasak? i would be willing to spend one night at an expensive hotel if it meant a safe place for my goods for a week. i was thinking maybe the inthara champasak hotel? but if there is a truly safe place that's cheap, that would be even better - but safety is more important than money, since i'm an artist and will absolutely need my laptop in hong kong in two weeks! makes me a bit nervous to put it away for so long. any advice much appreciated.

thanks,
    betsbillabong

#1 Posted: 11/1/2011 - 09:17

• Advertisement

• betsbillabo-
    ng

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2011

hi all,

it looks like a few people have looked at this but no answers.

fyi, i've read that the lankham will take bags. but i just found out that the pakse hotel will also take bags, for 5000 kip per day, which seems reasonable. it looks like a pretty nice hotel that i can trust.

any thoughts?

bb

#2 Posted: 11/1/2011 - 19:10

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

was looking at the pictures of Lang Kham and it seems I stayed here for a few days. I never remember names of hotels, only by picture :).

Pretty good hotel though so I think your belongings should be safe here. 5000 kip is really nothing, that's like 60p US or something, cheap!
    Though I'd always that if you travel with a laptop, keep it with you at any time or at least in your room and locked!

#3 Posted: 11/1/2011 - 19:42

• betsbillabo-
    ng

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2011

hey svendj,

yes, i've been locking my laptop into my bag, and securing that to the room somehow in all of my hotels. then also padlocking the room in addition to the room key. it seems dodgy to just leave it in a hotel for a week - but then again, i don't want to worry about it or seem suspicious while doing homestays in small villages. i wish i didn't have to have it with me!

this is the hotel i'm thinking of leaving it at:

http://www.hotelpakse.com/

bb

#4 Posted: 11/1/2011 - 20:07

• tf_geckozy

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2008

Thinking to keep your belongings more safely is good.

But, OP, you are misunderstanding where you are in now and you seem to me you are never an expert Lao traveliler.

Lao people are different from Vietnamese, and if you are in Viet Nam and if you leave money and other precious goods in your room, those kind of goods will easily disapper while you are out. But you are now in "Laos".

Don't you like Laos and Lao people?

#5 Posted: 13/1/2011 - 05:06

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"Don't you like Laos and Lao people?"

I don't think that is what the OP is suggesting at all. It wouldn't matter which country you are in, there is always a concern about leaving your valuables behind. Logically, it's not good common sense. But practically, it's very useful and convenient sometimes.

I have left my main pack at the guesthouse or hotel several times while travelling away for a few days with my daypack. (In some cases I took my netbook, but not always). I did this a few times in Thailand (while travelling to islands, for up to a week at a time), in Bali (while travelling to outer islands), and in Vietnam (while in Halong Bay).

I never had any problems, the pack was always left exactly as I left it. I padlocked it of course, not that that would stop anyone that really wanted to get in. I also let them know (and see, to some extent) that I was taking my valuables with me (regardless of what I left behind).

BTW - I never paid for this. The guesthouses were kind enough to just hold it for me.

I think you will be fine, especially with the books. The laptop is a calculated risk. What are the implications of losing it? How bad is it for you if it goes missing? Only you can decide this....

#6 Posted: 13/1/2011 - 07:31

• betsbillabo-
    ng

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2011

Hi there,

I'm sorry, I did not mean to offend. It's true, I would be very careful with my belongings in any country, but in fact I would worry much more about other travelers (sad to say) than the Lao people. Just had a discussion about this at breakfast.

In my case, it's hard because I will be going over some very rough country and carrying my bag a lot, so I don't want to bring the laptop and damage it. I would not travel with it at all except that I am a digital media artist and have a big show in Hong Kong next week, and need to make the piece with the computer next week! So it is important that it is okay.

I am thinking I will check JUST the laptop bag. It will not be like things going missing in a bag, because it will be the only thing and if it goes missing it will look bad for them. And again, I'm more worried about my bag being in a big travelers saferoom where lots of travelers have access than I am about leaving it a Lao hotel safe where only the employees have access.

It is true, I am not an expert Lao traveler. I have only been in the country ten days and have already fallen in love with it. ;-)

#7 Posted: 13/1/2011 - 11:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
from Pakse to Champasak, Champasak to Don Khon ? ... By gromi1705 on 15 Jul 2008 2 5882 21 Jul 2008
Ayutthaya/day trip where to leave the luggage? ... By boleslav on 10 Sep 2009 3 4796 11 Sep 2009
boats from pakse to champasak ... By kobnoi on 20 Mar 2008 5 3520 28 Mar 2008
Boat from Pakse to Champasak ... By dclayw on 17 Jul 2009 6 5762 9 Jan 2013
Phonsavan to Pakse/Champasak... ... By earl83 on 22 Jan 2013 9 1719 1 Feb 2013
PAKSE WARNING - Champasak Games means NO ROOMS!! ... By Digitalis on 13 Dec 2008 2 3650 21 Dec 2008