Flag of Laos

Laos forum

From Si Phan Don to Kratie

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

I've read that you can buy a ticket from Don Det all the way to Stung Treng, Kratie or even as far as Phnom Penh.

What would be most economical; to buy a ticket all the way to Phnom Penh or just to Kratie and then find our own transportation?

Can anyone who has done this trip by buying a ticket from Si Phan Don shed some light?

Does this route use the over land border crossing? We'll need to get visas on arrival.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 13/12/2006 - 04:49

• Advertisement

• princessdis-
    aster

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2006

Hi,

I've been trying to figure out the same thing, I'll be doing the trip in April.

the only thing I've found that might help is this web site, but it only really tells you what to expect to pay on the Cambodian side using Cambodian public buses, which I've used before and aren't to bad.

http://www.canbypublications.com/cambodia/overland.htm#Laos

thanks
    PrincessD

#2 Posted: 13/12/2006 - 06:21

• russellb

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2006

From Don Khon/Don Det, the easiest option is to take a boat. You'll have to walk to the far side of Don Khon (only about 1km) and from there get a small boat to the border. Larger boats travel downstream to Stung Treng and from there you can get the regular public services down to Kratie and Phnom Penh.
    You'll have to negotiate hard at the border for a good price - ask around for anyone who's done the trip. The boat will stop at the Cambodian border for the usual formalities but I don't think you can get a visa here - you should organise this before you leave Laos - Vientiane has an embassy.

#3 Posted: 14/12/2006 - 11:27

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

russell,
    what is a "good price" for the boat trip from the border to stung treng and how long does it take? also, what is the duration and cost of transport from stung treng to kratie? thanks!

#4 Posted: 15/12/2006 - 08:57

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We've just (finally) put together a round-up on this route -- you can read more on the Lao Cambodia border here.

#5 Posted: 19/1/2007 - 17:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Si Phan Don to Kratie? ... By chicho83 on 16 Jan 2009 0 2444 16 Jan 2009