• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Hey all,

I hear that in Southern Laos the only place to exchange USD is in Pakse. Doing the Bolaven Loop I'm wondering how much Kip I should bring on the excursion.

For room, I'm estimating around 60,000 Kip per night though I expect to end up spending closer to 48,000.

My question is food/beer and gas. I've looked around andsee that noodles run 8,000 Kip a meal - I'm assuming there isn't much in the way of a burger and pizza joint in Sekong so I don't expect to budget for splurge meals. I haven't been in Laos for 3 years so I wanted to check on how much beer and gas (per liter) will cost. Anybody got the information?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 14/1/2011 - 13:12

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

By "gas" I assume you mean petrol? Petrol is 9200 Kip per lt. Cost of beer depends on where you buy it; a big beer Laos generally sells for about 8000 Kip.
    Good luck with your budget. I think it is unrealistic.

#2 Posted: 14/1/2011 - 17:07

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I haven't really laid one out yet. All the accommodations on travelfish are listed at between 5 - 8 USD a night and you said in the 'Laos seems expensive!" thread that Pho in Vientiane runs you 7000 - 8000 Kip. I was assuming that an average lunch would then be around 16,000 Kip without drinks. I was thinking that I'd be fine with somewhere between 200,000 - 300,000 Kip a day. What is a realistic budget?

#3 Posted: 14/1/2011 - 21:09

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Yes, but you can't live in Pho alone. 300,000 should see you through.

#4 Posted: 15/1/2011 - 08:35

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Ah - I should have been more clear, I was saying that was the only base price I could find. I know that my USD aren't worth as much as they used to be but wasn't sure if local prices had also risen along with the strength of the currency.

thanks.

#5 Posted: 15/1/2011 - 11:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.