Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Travelling through Laos to cambodia

• johndubai

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2011

We are planning to arrive in Vientiane and travel through Laos to Cambodia. We're on a tight schedule but wondered if anyone else has done this journey and can offer advice on methods of travel through Laos and Cambodia. Also I've heard conflicting stories on the border crossing between these countries. Anyone with first hand experience here??

Thanks

#1 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 22:47

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

What kind of conflicting stories? The crossing is fine, and visas on arrival are available for Cambodia. I've only crossed in the other direction, from Cambodia, but it was easy-breezy and quick.

#2 Posted: 20/1/2011 - 01:27

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

We did the same trip last year - no problems really - except the overcharging for a Cambodian visa! But that's no issue really; the prices are clearly posted, they just happen to be 10 $ more than the offical price!!! (You can get an evisa to solve this problem!)

We got the sleeper bus from Vientiane to Paske and spent time on 4,000 islands. From 4,000 islands we got the minibus to Kratie . I would NOT recommended trying to go direct from 4,000 islands to PP or Siam Reap - you'd arrive there sometime after midnight!

This is the only rip off I am aware of . Those people continuing their trip to PP or Siam Reap are unnecessaryily held up at the border (not for immigration but just hanging around the bus) and then delaid again at Kratie for lunch (although it's about 3 pm when you get there!!).

The bus driver tried very hard to get us to change our Kratie tickets to Siam Reap, but we refused. Late arrivals at destinations appear to be a common rip off around Asia when you find that the only accomodation available is the friends of the bus drivers at greatly inflated prices!!!!

So expect several hours delay at Loas/Cambodian crossing, (but not due to immigration) and factor that into your travel plans, and in general don't try & streach a journey.

#3 Posted: 20/1/2011 - 05:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.