Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Loas visa run Houei Xai

• WinstonRumf-
    oord

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2011

Has anyone done a visa run from Houei Xai to Chiang Khong and back to extend a stay in Laos?
    Also I have a 60 day Thailand visa, will that be used up? So when I cross a second time to Thailand, by this crossing, will I only get a 15 day visa for Thailand?

#1 Posted: 25/1/2011 - 17:09

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

If you already have a Thai tourist visa in your passport they will probably stamp it unless you ask otherwise and then it's at the discretion of the immigration officer. Maybe if you explain you're just doing a visa run and want to use the visa later they'll be cool about it (I've had mixed results) and just give you a standard 15-day visa exempt entry.

#2 Posted: 25/1/2011 - 22:28

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

woops double post

#3 Posted: 25/1/2011 - 22:30

• WinstonRumf-
    oord

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2011

Thanks Captn.
    Turned out the detour to Houay Xai would have been too much hassle, but for anybody else interested this is what I found:-
    Two people, including a European married to a Loatian, said that the Loas immigration had no problem with border runs. Also, when I left via Houay Xai the officer at the Departure window said there was no problem with me then popping across to the adjoining Arrivals window and buying a visa back in (would even save the boat across the Mekong).
    I was unaware at the time that visas can be extended (per day) at Luang Prabang as well as Vientiane.

#4 Posted: 18/3/2011 - 16:47

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I am looking to do a couple of Visa run's to get a new 30-day Lao visa.

From the post above, It looks like It is mostly up to the discretion of the Visa official on the Lao side? Ideally, I would just like to "exit" Laos then double back without going into Thailand. It seems like this might be more likely at one of the less popular border crossings but I guess we shall see!

If I did have to go to the Thai immigration, I guess I could always try the same thing and ask if they will let me turn around and go back again without entering. Does the 90 day maximum Visa rule apply for Thai land crossings? So I could, in theory, go into and out of Thailand 6 times?

#5 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 04:45

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Chris the "90 day" visa thing was abolished a couple years ago. You'll get a 15-day visa exempt entry free of charge. No need to avoid entering Thailand, just turn around and go back to Laos same day.

#6 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 18:41

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Thanks for the response Bob. Can I just keep getting 15 dayers, in theory? Obviously If I had 30 in my passport there might be some questions but it would never get to that.
    :)

#7 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 18:57

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Yes in theory if you have page after page of visa-exempt entries the immigration officer on your next attempt could refuse you another one, but it's not like the 2006-8 era when they literally had to add up your number of days/entries during the past 6 months and then send you back to the Thai consulate to get a real visa if you were over the "limit".

#8 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 21:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.