Flag of Laos

Laos forum

transportation in Muang La or Pak Nam Noi?

• namhoonkim

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2006

Hi..!!

My wife and I plan to travel Laos next week.
    This is the part of our plan.
    When traveling, we want to visit Phongsali from UdomXai via Muang La or Pak Nam Noi by bus.
    In Muang La or Pak Nam Noi we will stop and rest.
    And at night we want to take the bus which we know would start from Lunag Prabang at 5:00 pm.
    Does this bus stop in Muang La or Pak Nam Noi?
    is it possible to take this bus at night?
    If there is anyone who knows it, please inform me!!
    Thank you for watching my question^^

#1 Posted: 19/12/2006 - 16:27

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi namhoonkim,

Welcome to Travelfish!

I'm not sure where Pak Nam Noi is -- so I can't help on that, but I'm pretty sure (though not 100% positive) that the bus will pass via Muang La. You shouldn't have any problem jumping on the bus, though you may not get a seat -- be prepared to sit in the aisle on little plastic stools -- if you're lucky.

By the way, Muang La is a lovely little hideaway.

#2 Posted: 19/12/2006 - 21:02

• namhoonkim

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2006

Thank you very much for your reply!!
    Pak Nam Noi is the junction for Muang Khua, Udom Xai and Phongsali
    even if I do not raise the road numbers.

What do you think about Boun Tai?
    Does it have the value to visit?

#3 Posted: 20/12/2006 - 16:16

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Guess this reply is too late, but maybe it can help other travellers...

Stopped by Pak Nam Noi twice recently, on my way from Udomxai to Phongsali, & from Muang Khua to Udomxai. But it was daytime.

The morning bus I took from Udomxai to Phongsali was crowded even by Lao standards. All plastic stools & sacks of rice (used as seats) in the aisle were occupied, & two people stood on the steps next to the door. Along the way some locals tried to get on the bus, but the driver refused to stop for them, as it was impossible for anyone to get on even if they wanted to stand.

While in Pak Mong (junction for Luang Prabang, Udomxai & Nong Khiaw), I saw the Luang Prabang-Phongsali night bus stop by at 8+PM at night. It is a much bigger bus (approx 40-seater?) than the Udomxai-Phongsali bus (approx 20-seater?), so better chances of hopping onto this one. But you might have to wait at the Pak Nam Noi bus station in the wee hours of the morning, as the night bus will reach maybe sometime after midnight?

Muang La is beautiful =) But the Pak Nam Noi-Phongsali road is very dusty even with all bus windows shut, like the unpaved sections of the Huay Xai-Luang Namtha road. There are many Akha villages between Pak Nam Noi, Boun Tai, Boun Neua & Phongsali, but did not stop by any of them, so can't tell you much.

#4 Posted: 11/1/2007 - 08:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Private transportation between Muang Khoua and Tay Trang and then on to Dien Bien Phu ... By boschl on 20 Oct 2012 1 697 26 Oct 2012