Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Help! Southern Laos

Posted by travelnkate on 27/1/2011 at 15:17

Hello!
I am currently teaching in Thailand (near bangkok). My contract is up March 5th and I wanted to do a Southern Laos - Cambodia trip...BUT i only have 10 days to travel. I am on a tight budget, living off of baht. I have looked up different tours but they are all pretty pricey or too restrictive. I will be traveling with another teacher, we are both woman 23-25. I read on a travel blog and in Lonley Planet that you can hire a motorbike guide in Laos, hire as in he drives and I hang out on the back of the bike and take in the scenery...I've ridden a motorbike a few times before but only automatic and I am not confident enough to rent one and drive by myself (which would be ideal). Does anyone know if this is actually possible? Hiring a motorbike guide to take me from destination to destination? Where would I find one? How much would they cost? I want to spend my time in Laos mostly in the Champasak Province. If I am leaving from Bangkok whats the best way to get there?
Any help would be appreciated!

#1 travelnkate has been a member since 27/1/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by 5acrefarmer on 27/1/2011 at 20:16

Hi

Southern Laos has some big open spaces with not much to see in between. Laos is also more expensive than Cambodia. Hiring someone to bike you around would not be a bargain. 10 days is not a long time and I would recommend just spending them in Cambodia, don't try and do too much. I did just 8 days in Cambodia which was too little.
Maybe just squeeze in 4000 islands if you are keen to do just a little in Laos.

#2 5acrefarmer has been a member since 10/6/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 61
 Website 

Posted by Rufus on 28/1/2011 at 08:21

I have not heard of you being able to hire someone to drive you around. I don't think this is a good idea for females to do anyway. With such a short period of time, I would stick to one country. Coming to Laos, you could do a couple of days in Vientiane, then to Vang Vieng and on to Luang Prabang. Alternatively - Vientiane, Savannakhet, Champassak would be an option. You could also stop at Tha Kek and look at the Kong Lor cave.
There are 2 cheaper options for getting to Laos - the overnight train, or fly to Udon Thani with a cheap airline and then take a mini bus to the friendship Bridge. Both ways are well documented on this site.

#3 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.