• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Hey,

I may be going from Si Phon Don passed Pakse up to Savannakhet for two nights - but then will need to get back to Bangkok, so a couple questions.

Anyone know something about getting to Ubon Ratchatani from Savannakhet? Can you book a direct VIP bus with border crossing like in Pakse? If so - how much, where to book, and time it takes?

If not - how is the best way to get from Savannakhet to Ubon Ratchatani? Especially how much time would it take?

I know that Lao Airlines offers a Friday flight that I could use - costs a lot, but would love any information someone might have on if that flight ever gets cancelled. I'm flying out of Bangkok on Friday night, so would have to get that Friday morning fligh to BKK without a hitch.

And if it is possible to get direct from Savannakhet to BKK that would be some great information as well . . . but I have my doubts.

Will check back in a couple days - on the Bolaven trial right now. Thanks for all the help.

#1 Posted: 29/1/2011 - 17:37

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

there is a Savannakhet-Mukdahan international bus service (similar to the Pakse-Ubon service, & run by the same company), see last part of this page for details.
    not sure how up to date the timetable linked in the abovementioned page is, perhaps MADMAC could help you with that.

Mukdahan has direct buses to BKK.
    details for Transport Co. buses here:
    http://61.19.247.102/~transport/timetable02_northeast.php
    again think MADMAC can help you with details for buses run by other companies.

#2 Posted: 29/1/2011 - 18:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Yep, three VIP overnighters leave daily from Mukdahan , starting at 1930. Take the bus from Savanakhet to Mukdahan for about 50 baht. When you enter the Mukdahan bus station go to your immediate right and there is the VIP ticket counter going to Bangkok. You didn't mention the day, but if it's a Sunday night, get there early as a lot of people heading back from a weekend in Muk. Cost is about 800 baht. Seats recline fully. As buses go, they're OK.
    You didn't mention why you wanted to go to Ubon, but no, there's no bus from Savanakhet to Ubon that I know of. Go to Muk and you can get a bus there. But it's a shitty bus and takes about 4 hours, stopping all over. And yes, there is a direct flight with Laos air from Savanakhet to Bangkok, but I don't know how often they fun and I heard they are very pricey (I was quoted something around 6,000 baht).

#3 Posted: 29/1/2011 - 19:17

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Thanks for the advice guys. It'll probably be the night of February 9th (ah, my birthday) that I spend on the VIP bus to Bangkok - a Wed night, so shouldn't be any trouble - anyway, I'll be arriving in Mukdahan a night or two early to check the town out before I depart - don't want to just pass through.

Any knowledge on where in Bangkok the bus lets you off?

#4 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 12:20

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

well you could meet up with MADMAC in Mukdahan :P

Any knowledge on where in Bangkok the bus lets you off?

Mor Chit 2 bus station - used by almost all buses to/from northeast & north.

#5 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 12:34

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Casey
    You can find my place on soi Sasiwong (I'm the only white guy on the street) just off of Indochina Market on the river, about halfway down the market street. Stop by anytime. My wife has a little stand made of bamboo selling drinks and things. If I'm not in, she'll know how to find me.
    If we don't hook up, I strongly recommend you go to a bar called "Norees". It is just on the edge of town, about 200 meters past "the tower" (on the road to Don Tan - south end of town) on the right hand side. There's a karaoke bar right next to it. Great live band playing mostly modern folk type muysic. It's cold right now, so dress warm if you go there as it's open air. But it's, in my opinion, the best place in town.

#6 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 12:41

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Thanks MADMAC - I'll look you up.

#7 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 12:44

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

by the way - i'll be crossing tomorrow in the morning, so i'll swing by later that day.

#8 Posted: 7/2/2011 - 14:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Sounds good.

#9 Posted: 7/2/2011 - 23:44

• viacc65

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2007

MadMac do you know after the arrival at the Mukdahan bus station how long does it take to travel direct to Ubon Ratchatani?
    Do you know also the price with a taxi?

#10 Posted: 10/2/2011 - 03:32

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

viacc
    The bus is cheap, but it's falling apart and takes about four hours (stops everywhere). Sometimes hot and overcrowded. That bus sucks. There is a van that leaves from Ploy Palace Hotel, believe the cost is 400 baht. Nice, AC... takes a touch over two hours. There are no taxis in Mukdahan (although I have heard that a taxi service is coming). There are skylabs (tuk tuks), which obviously aren't going to take you to Ubon. If you have some time to kill, and don't care about a little discomfort, then take the bus. If you don't, take the van. But make sure you go there the day before and check departure times. It goes to the airport but you can probably get another destination if you talk to the driver and tip him.

Casey,
    Great meeting you. Hope you enjoyed yourself in Muk. Hope to see you again sometime.

#11 Posted: 10/2/2011 - 17:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.