Flag of Laos

Laos forum

5 days in Laos

• quannm

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Dear all,

I've read through a lot of topics here and find them greatly useful. It has urged me to make a short trip to Laos, hopefully next week. Please kindly give your advice on this.

I would love to visit Luang Phrabang, Xieng Khuoang and Vientianne. I will start from Hanoi and will try to lower the cost as much as possible. I'm wondering if I go by bus, will i make it in 5 days, probably from 5th to 10th of this February ? I understand that flight is faster and more convenient but my budget is quite tight.
    If possible please show me the route.
    Many thanks and your help is highly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 00:21

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

5 days...you will only see the bus stations of Luang Prabang, Xieng Khouang & Vientiane, & not much else...

see reply #1 here for the overland journey times from Hanoi to Laos:
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1921072

within Laos:
    Luang Prabang-Xieng Khouang = 1 day bus
    Xieng Khouang-Vientiane = 1 day bus
    Luang Prabang-Vientiane = 1 day bus
    (1 day bus means at least 10 hours or longer)

#2 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 08:34

• quannm

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2011

Ah thanks for your reply wanderingcat, I really did not anticipate that. So the trip I presume will take at least a week if I plan to visit all the 3 places.
    Guess I may need to defer it this time then.
    My initial plan is to reach Laos by bus starting from Dien Bien Phu, then visit Luang Prabang-Xiang Khuang- Vientianne then take a flight back to Hanoi.
    Any other relevant advice would be appreciated.

#3 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 21:36

• vietnamrum

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2011

Each of the SE Asia countries is unique. There is a different vibe in each.

IF you really want to see Laos to get a taster go to one place for the 5 days.

I have spent 2 months in Vang Viene and a month in Vientiane.at different times and loved it.

Go see Laos.

#4 Posted: 13/2/2011 - 03:46

• orlavanh

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2011

5 days in Laos is too short, especially if you want to take a bus,,,,because taking a bus from Veintiane to Laungprabang is would take around 1 days, that mean you will loose one day on the bus.......maybe you can think about renting a motobike or car,,,,but i suggest A CAR,,,,hahahaha++++ and then you can have free with your travel, you don't need to wait for the bus.....and you can manage your time.....if you are interest, you can check with travel agency, or a car rental company......my friends told me that there a lot of car rental in Laos,but there is the only one that can let you have self-driver, which is Europcar, maybe you can check with them first at www.avrlaos.com

enjoy your trip

#5 Posted: 15/2/2011 - 17:10

• vietnamrum

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2011

Hanoi to Vientiane is 24 by bus. So 5 days and cheap dont work.

You could fly if you wast a taste of Laos.

It is brilliant there. I would skip it now enjoy Vietnam and organise a proper trip later.

enjoy

#6 Posted: 15/2/2011 - 22:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.