Laos forum

GH Prices in Luang Prabang

• paulwoconne-
    ll

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

What's happening with GH prices in LP?

I was there a while back, and back then (2004) it was way cheaper than Thailand. Looking now everything appears to be about double Chiang Mai prices. (and certainly a lot more than I'm paying now in Hanoi)

Is this just a function of there not being many of the cheaper places advertised online, or am I really going to have to pay $30 - 40 USD for a clean private room without a shared bathroom?

I arrive on the 7th in the afternoon (half two - so that's before the boat gets in from memory) - am I safe to just cruise the streets to find a place?

(I had a nasty experience in Mui Ne a few weeks back when we rocked up in the middle of a kitesurfing festival at 9 at night and spent 2 hours just to find anywhere with vacancies)

P

#1 Posted: 4/2/2011 - 09:14

• Advertisement

• theotherval-
    etguy

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

Hey buddy, I'm in LP right now, been here for 2 days. The cheapest GH we found was 100,000 kip which is $12.5. They started at 120,000 and we talked them down. I think the going rate is 120,000-130,000 but thats on the peninsula. We haven't ventured out much and I assume it might get cheaper further away from the peninsula.

Cheers!

#2 Posted: 4/2/2011 - 11:51

• paulwoconne-
    ll

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2011

sweet - thanks man. tell me - is that price shared or private bathroom?

any particular recommendations (or places to avoid?). don't particularly mind on location - it's so small after all.

#3 Posted: 4/2/2011 - 18:56

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

You're right, for that 100,000 kip price (roughly 400 baht) you can get a big private room with kingsize bed, hot shower, and maybe even a fridge and aircon in central Chiang Mai. Sounds like LP continues to grow an attitude. But you are correct that the cheaper places generally don't advertise on the www. Gotta just turn up and see.

#4 Posted: 5/2/2011 - 01:25

• cmfk59

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2011

I was in Luang Prabang in November and stayed at the Rattana Guesthouse for $15 a night - single in a double room, with net and fan (pay more for the aircon remote, another $3 I think), private bathroom, breakfast not included.

It was fine, friendly staff, but I got the impression there were plenty of other places around that were similar prices. Its up near Joma bakery and I saw some places further down the point were more the $30 price.

#5 Posted: 5/2/2011 - 07:33

• paulwoconne-
    ll

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2011

cheers. yeah bob i'm paying 500 in chiang mai for a really nice place so couldn't believe the web prices for LP. last i was there they were half chiang mai, not double!

#6 Posted: 5/2/2011 - 18:31

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

most of the cheaper places don't have websites.
    clean ensuite rooms without AC below USD15 - many in the area behind Joma & the PO (JF197-JC199-JD200-JF198 in this map). also a few in the Ban Aphay/Ban Meun Na area (JF-JG 207-210, same map) incl the popular Cold River GH.
    not sure about prices for rooms with AC cos have never tried searching for those.
    this site has photos of various GHs.
    within the peninsula, room rates shoot up. & there are luxury resorts that charge up to twice the annual income of ordinary Lao people per night.

#7 Posted: 6/2/2011 - 05:09

• paulwoconne-
    ll

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2011

that is absolutely gold wanderingcat, just what i needed. much appreciated.

#8 Posted: 6/2/2011 - 15:37

• Gregirie

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

wanderingcat, +1 for great info.

i stayed at sysomphone guest house in jg 209 on that map, that was 50,000 for a room shared with my friend, 2 beds. farther out in this area these prices are typical. You are best to share a room witha friend. There arent many hostels anywhere in laos, i know there are maybe 2 in town but more expensive then sharing a room with someone. everyone had a shared bathroom. Free bananas which is typical for everywhere in LP.
    other tips, there is a great veggie buffet at the night market for 10,000. and make sure you go up the big hill in the center of town with the temple at the top, great view of the city.

enjoy
    grego

#9 Posted: 7/2/2011 - 10:59

• fi0na

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2011

this thread's helpful. thanks! going to LP with my friends on thursday. wow, a vegetarian buffet! can't wait!

#10 Posted: 13/2/2011 - 21:24

• Advertisement

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

I was just in LP 3 weeks ago & stayed at the phousi guesthouse. On the peninsula, across from the big Wat in town. It was 25 USD, which was a bit out of my price range, but it was a nice room with private bath, hot water, fridge, balcony, fan. (AC was more) and really comfy bed. It had 2 major drawbacks: WiFi was only available in the restaurant and not in the rooms and it had one of those keys that turned off the power when you left the room, therefore the fridge didn't work when you were out. How dumb is that?

#11 Posted: 14/2/2011 - 15:42

• humpdawg

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009

I was there about 4 weeks ago with my girlfriend and a tuk-tuk driver brought us to a place about 5 mins walk from the peninsula. Had a double bed, TV, fan and was clean. Had a shared bathroom but it was always empty (small guesthouse). We were happy with the place. It was only 60,000 kip. Sorry but I can't remember the name. You can definitly find something cheap if you look but you won't find it online.
    Good luck.

#12 Posted: 15/2/2011 - 08:50

• humpdawg

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009

I was there about 4 weeks ago with my girlfriend and a tuk-tuk driver brought us to a place about 5 mins walk from the peninsula. Had a double bed, TV, fan and was clean. Had a shared bathroom but it was always empty (small guesthouse). We were happy with the place. It was only 60,000 kip. Sorry but I can't remember the name. You can definitly find something cheap if you look but you won't find it online.
    Good luck.

#13 Posted: 15/2/2011 - 08:52

• humpdawg

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009

Good luck.

#14 Posted: 15/2/2011 - 08:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Luang Prabang Prices ... By daawgon on 6 May 2010 32 7325 4 Dec 2010
Prices in Luang Prabang ... By basejump on 29 Dec 2008 1 2267 30 Dec 2008
Odd prices for Bangkok-Luang Prabang flights ... By lioninzion on 18 Feb 2007 3 2932 21 Feb 2007
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9430 19 Aug 2011