Get a room! (Southern Laos)

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Just to let anyone traveling through here to know - good rooms are at a serious premium. None of the guest houses has availability in the afternoon - those arriving from Ubon or Si Phon Don are grasping away from anything they can find, usually ending up in one of the hotels on Road 13. Still, everything is centrally located so its not a problem.

However, if you want a nice view from Sedong River GH or the companionship of Sabadiya 2 - then either arrive early or make a reservation. And with Sedong it was difficult to even make a reservation in person for when I returned.

So - that's Pakse - but the same warning applies to Tad Lo and Don Dhet. It looks like a good thing all those farmers are turning their yards into bungalow operations because this area is not ready for the traffic that is coming in. Just remember to bring your patients and look farther afield than expected when you arrive wanting a room.

By the way - no trouble finidng a room on the Bolaven Plateau passed Tad Lo. Easy pickin's

#1 Posted: 5/2/2011 - 17:06

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

How many of those tourists are Chinese? CNY weekend and many places are heaving with them. Streets full of "Nee How" folks here in Chiang Mai too. Remember why Pakse airport was recently upgraded as Si Phan Don lures in that crowd.

#2 Posted: 5/2/2011 - 19:55

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Only a handful of Chinese - mostly young Germans and old French.

Funny you mention the Chinese though, as Vixay GH was nice enough to let four guys who couldn't find a room on Don Dhet sleep on the floor of their restaurant.

#3 Posted: 7/2/2011 - 14:24

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

I am currently on Don Dhet & it is busting at the seams. I had a really hard time finding a room.
    My advice, Take anything you can when you arrive & then set out to improve upon your accommodations in a day or 2. AND have patience.

#4 Posted: 7/2/2011 - 16:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.