Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Learning Language in Vientiane

• ecilassim

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2009

Hi all,
    i'm planning a one month stay at Vientiane while learning a new language,i'm a malaysian chinese.I'm interested learning Laos,Spanish,French,Italian or any others.I'm looking a teacher who can teach 3 to 5 hours a day.
    Also looking for a apartment for rent month?budget less than USD150.
    Anyone with good recommendation?

#1 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 20:34

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

"Also looking for a apartment for rent month?budget less than USD150."

Sorry but this one won't happen. Check out windows in Phimphone mini mart and Simuang mini mart for places to rent. You are probably looking at more than 150, though.

#2 Posted: 22/2/2011 - 13:02

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

You're going to have to "go native" I'd suggest making contacts with the older Chinese community while you are there. What dialects do you speak?

Certainly a lot of Lao people don't pay $150 but you cant have internet or hot water and stuff.

#3 Posted: 25/2/2011 - 07:47

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

if you are going to be in Laos for a month, i would definitely take full advantage of that time and study Lao. since you are in the country where the language is spoken, you'll have all day every day when you aren't in class to chat with people on the street, listen to radio and television, read local newspapers and displays at museums, etc. make the most of your time in Laos by studying the language used there.

by the way, what is your budget for language teachers? your accommodation budget seems pretty modest. hopefully you've got some cash set aside to hire a good language tutor too. regards.

#4 Posted: 25/2/2011 - 09:28

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Somsai, the Lao also don't stay in apartments. They do stay in room for rent accommodation, which you can get for about 4000 Baht per month.
    Having said this, I just saw an apt for rent - part of a Chinese restaurant - for $180 pm.

The French Cultural Centre has a Lao for beginners course; however in any case, the op has not bothered to come back.

#5 Posted: 25/2/2011 - 10:46

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Good point Exacto, plug that Lao learning whenever possible, makes many things much more possible.

Rufus my mom in law has fifteen "hongteaus" she rents out up by the Kaysone Meuseum for 3000 baht a month. They are new and considered high rent and luxurious by local standards, most put in AC. They're for Lao people though. I've paid 150 USD for 5 bedroom shaded with AC etc house further out of town (out by Cook Sumke) Expat price might well have a surcharge.

I'll put in a plug right here too for that beautiful half hectare I have for sale at the entrance to Tad Fane 20K USD, somtam please don't ban me.

#6 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 07:03

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i would be interested in hearing more about the lao for beginners course at the french cultural center if you have more details Rufus.

#7 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 09:17

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Hi Exacto, I will try and find costs and dates for you.
    I do know that it is a total beginner's course and that they run it at regular intervals. You know where the French Cultural Centre is I suppose - in Kaysone Phomivahn Road, on the opposite side of Talat Sao.

#8 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 18:06

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Thanks Rufus. I found a bit of info and at least some contact information at this link:

http://www.centredelangue.org/

Seems like a great way to spend a few hours a day while enjoying Vientiane. Cheers.

#9 Posted: 1/3/2011 - 10:38

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Hi Exacto, you found out the same as me. Sorry, no more to add as I don't know when their courses start, but I do know they are fairly frequent.

#10 Posted: 2/3/2011 - 09:28

• Advertisement

• jrwitherspo-
    on

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2011

im already in vientiane: may 19 to june 1 at least. I need five hours with a native speaker of french and five hours with a native speaker of italian. can anyone suggest where i might quickly find such tutors?

#11 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 19:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Learning the language ... By UsTwo on 11 May 2010 9 1846 10 Jun 2010
Learning an asian language ... By mattocmd on 2 Jul 2007 4 1856 24 Jul 2007
FRENCH AND ITALIAN LANGUAGE TUTORS IN VIENTIANE ... By jrwitherspoon on 19 May 2011 9 2768 24 May 2011