Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Plain of Jars

Posted by curliesue on 2/3/2011 at 09:01

Hi,
I'm thinking of visiting the Plain of Jars in Loas. Has anyone been there recenly?
Is it worth the visit?
Can I go there on my own, or would it be better to go with a guide?
Thanks!

#1 curliesue has been a member since 2/3/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by caseyprich on 2/3/2011 at 11:23

I haven't been there since February 2008 - but I liked it a lot. I reviewed Phonsovan on this site, and though the town is not that great, I like the intersection of history here. The Plain of Jars is very interesting itself, but the UXO office in town is certainly worth a look as well.

A lot of us arrived together on the VIP bus from Luang Prabang and all booked up a tour together, so it wasn't a personal guide but a group - I found the information they had to share was good and it was a faster way to see two of the main sites since I only had 2 nights scheduled for Phonsovan area. If you have more time I think you can bike from site to site, but I'm not aware of a bike rental shop in the city.

UXO is still a big problem in this area, so if you go out on your own, go to well established locations and stick between the marked trail lines.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by exacto on 2/3/2011 at 11:35

I haven't been to the Plain of Jars since even longer than Casey, but I really enjoyed my time there too. Casey's intersection of history comment is a great way to describe the place. I think the area is definitely worth a look if you have the time and are interested in history and getting a bit off the main drag. Cheers.

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/55

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Rufus on 3/3/2011 at 09:37

Yes I have been there and I really like the area. It is fascinating if you are interested in History. You can do the sites on your own after hiring a bike, but as Exacto says, be careful as UXOs are a problem.

#4 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by Captain_Bob on 10/3/2011 at 21:33

The jars themselves may not be as spine-tingling as the Taj Mahal or the Giza Pyaramids, but as written above it's an interesting region from an historical perspective. Plus it's a real crossroads between Lao and Vietnamese culture as evidenced by the cargo trucks/drivers and architecture. I also like the bleakness of the arid high country landscape and the ride out there is quite scenic. Better by motorbike but a local bus with windows that open aint a bad choice.

#5 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,819

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.