Flag of Laos

Laos forum

SE Asia in 5 weeks

• lcooper

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2011

Hi,

I am planning a 5 week trip covering Laos, Cambodia and a very small portion of Thailand. Starting in Chiang Mai cross the border to Huay Xai, Pakbeng, Luang Prabang, Vang Viang, Siam Reip and Phenom Pen. I would also like to get to the coast in Cambodia but not sure where to head.
    I want to have enough time to not feel rushed and take it at my own pace.
    I would prefer to do the trip over land rather than fly as I want to take in as much as possible, although I understand time may be a restrictor.
    Is this possible??????
    Is there any tips for border crossings, other places to see/stay, buses/trains etc?

#1 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 10:58

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

You've left a huge chunk of Laos off your wish list, so you should be able to do this trip in that time without having to worry too much about time. From Vientiane you can take a full day bus ride down to Pakse - and that puts you within a few hours of the Cambodia border. So that can be done in order to save time.

From Huay Xai- Pakbeng - Luang Prabang is a two day boat ride if I remember correctly, and Pakbeng isn't more than a stop over town anyway. So, planning that to be mostly travel you've got a few nights in Luang Prabang and then VV and Vientiane to enjoy before you head south. If you're ahead of schedule I recommend stopping in Pakse for a night (Sedong River Guesthouse highly recommended) and then scooting down to Si Phon Don (4,000 Islands) for a night or two before heading over the border into Cambodia. It'll be a nice way to break up the trip from the North of Laos down to Cambodia.

#2 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 12:48

• lcooper

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2011

Thank you for the speedy response, I will definitely have look at doing a bit of southern Laos before crossing the border to Cambodia.

What are the border crossings like into Laos from Thailand, Cambodia from Laos? Is it worth organising visa's before I leave home?

Any suggestions for a relaxing couple of nights on the coast in Cambodia?

#3 Posted: 22/3/2011 - 08:07

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

No hassle visas at the border for both spots. I've never been to the Cambodia coast so I can't help with that.

#4 Posted: 22/3/2011 - 11:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.