Flag of Laos

Laos forum

which boat on which river in which direction?

• ccalvin09

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2009

Two days in Vientiane
    Three days in Luang Prabang
    Five day round trip from LP to ?? via ?? river at mellow pace in January

In a perfect world, I would do something along the lines of:

Depart LP via slow boat in the morning on Day 1 and travel for 3-5 hours before stopping for the afternoon/night in a beautiful, mellow location. Middle of nowhere OK if you have a suggestion for a place to sleep and hire a local guide.

Day 2: Go hiking/walking/biking/whatever to see something cool and maybe camp a night or do a homestay. I LOVE textiles and weaving, festivals, ruins, architecture, cultural events, etc. And I love being able to participate in whatever it is that the locals are doing, whether that be observing or helping.

Day 3: Circle back to river, slow boat another half day or hike along river to somewhere else cool. Day 4 do something active - hike, bike, fish, whatever

Day 5 go back to LP via boat? bus?

I absolutely love traveling via river, and am not so much a fan of dealing with my husband on a bus for longer than four hours. If there are not enough people to pay for the boat trip, I will pay for the whole thing. We travel on a tight budget and sleep and eat cheap until we need something like a boat or a good guide. I will spend the money to make my trip work smoothly since we dont have a lot of time to screw around.

As far as the guide, I am also looking for suggestions. I want to find someone who understands the whole sustainable tourism thing, and speaks the local language in the event we end up in a place where the people don't speak Lao. I like camping and staying in people's homes and usually do that by earning my keep — helping someone fix their roof, cook, clean, build a canoe, whatever. In Italy, we helped harvest olives to earn our bed and meal; in India, we built an outhouse in a little village that didn't have one, then all the guys went fishing together for dinner and I stayed back and helped the women with the babies and the wash. I really like doing those things.

So, all that being said. If departing from LP on a five-day timeline, which river should we use, which direction should we head, and where should we stop?

#1 Posted: 25/3/2011 - 06:42

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

short reply for now: Nam Ou from LPB to Nong Khiaw & then (maybe not all the way) to Muang Khua.

#2 Posted: 25/3/2011 - 09:26

• ccalvin09

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2009

Yea, I sort of figured that was the standard route. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some epic alternative.

#3 Posted: 25/3/2011 - 21:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Tara river boat ... By duke69 on 5 Jun 2009 0 2121 5 Jun 2009
Travel by boat in Mekong River ... By HannahD on 19 Feb 2013 12 2553 27 Mar 2013
Mekong River Boat In Laos - Need to get there from Chaing Mia ... By SteveHickey on 20 Mar 2007 9 4248 22 Mar 2007
Slow boat trip Mekong river ... By Paddy1888 on 22 Nov 2013 2 727 22 Nov 2013
Thaton to Chiang Rai - Longtail boat on the Koh river ... By mangie on 15 Nov 2006 1 2597 16 Nov 2006