Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Flying from Lao to Vietnam

• sophientere-
    sa

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2011

Hi all,

I have been looking for the cheapest way to fly from Lao to Hanoi ... and they all seem quite pricey.

My main question is; does anyone know if it is cheaper to book flights in Lao itself to fly to Hanoi?

We are travelling round SEA for 9 weeks, and dont fancy the bus from Vientiane to Hanoi much, as I have read on here that it is pretty gruesome. Is this still the case?

Cheers

Sophie :o)

#1 Posted: 5/4/2011 - 00:23

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Laos doesn't have a budget airline - so no, it just isn't cheap.

#2 Posted: 5/4/2011 - 01:44

• stevejames00

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

Its easy enough to catch a bus but it will be a long and tiring journey but its either that or an expensive flight. Why dont you break it up and stop somewhere in eastern laos?

#3 Posted: 5/4/2011 - 04:09

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Even if you break it up it's still a long and tiring journey. I have very little desire to go to Vietnam, but if I did, I think I would go from Savanakhet to Hue. That's the shortest route.

#4 Posted: 5/4/2011 - 10:17

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

You're limited to Lao Airlines and Vietnam Airlines on the VTE-HAN route and neither of them are "budget carriers" i.e. no real chance of cheap promotional fares. However, experience shows that you can usually buy a Lao Airlines flight cheaper at travel agents in Vientiane than the $180 fare shown on their website. Might get it $20 cheaper or thereabouts. IMO money well spent to avoid the bus ride from hell.

#5 Posted: 5/4/2011 - 18:42

• danielleand-
    mike

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

me and my boyfriend are planning on travelling laos to vietnam by train as is ALOT cheaper...looking at £13 each for bunkbed private cabin, would seriously consider it rather than taking a flight save some much money.

#6 Posted: 7/4/2011 - 09:50

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I have to ask - how are you going to take a train from Laos to Vietnam when there are no trains in Laos?

Bus, flight or your own transport are the only options. We took the bus from 4,000 islands to Hue last year - worst bus trip of my travels but it's like giving birth (so I hear): hell but you forget how bad it was once it's over.

We flew Hanoi to Vientiene last year - I don't know how much it was as it was part of a visa run package, but the Laos Airlines plane was really good and it only took an hour. There were backpackers on board laughing about how their friends had got the bus and how it was worth every dollar to have taken the flight. Sorry, doesn't help answer your question Sophie, but I'm in a rambling mood.

#7 Posted: 8/4/2011 - 12:05

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"me and my boyfriend are planning on travelling laos to vietnam by train as is ALOT cheaper..."

It's a lot cheaper allright! In fact, it's free because there is no train running from Laos to Vietnam!

#8 Posted: 8/4/2011 - 18:39

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Sorry Danielleandmike but it's still either a 24hr+ "adventure" bus ride or a roughly $180 flight. The Swiss/China-funded Friendship Railway dream is yet to come.

#9 Posted: 18/4/2011 - 02:26

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

"me and my boyfriend are planning on travelling laos to vietnam by train as is ALOT cheaper."
    Danielle and her boyfriend could always lay the tracks themselves.

#10 Posted: 18/4/2011 - 08:45

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well, someone has to do it.

#11 Posted: 18/4/2011 - 09:45

• EugeneS

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2012

Hi folks!

I was also wondering about the same issue and it seems that I've already got my answer, I will probably prefer to fly.

But I see that you only mention the flight from Vientiane to Hanoi . As far as I know, there is also possibility to fly to Hanoi from Luang Prabang, am I correct?

The thing is that we arrive to Laos from Thailand and plan to visit few places like Vientiane, Van Vieng and Luang Prabang. So since we will already be in Luang Prabang, I though to catch the flight to Hanoi from there. It is possible, right?

Thanks!

#12 Posted: 30/7/2012 - 02:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.