Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Travel in Laos over new year

• Daphne

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2011

Hi

I'm planning on making the journey from Bangkok to Vientiane next week on the 14th, then onwards to Pakse and Si Phan Don. Assuming that there are no problems with the overnight train from Bangkok, do you think Laos new year will mean much disruption to travel for the rest of our journey?

Will the roads down to Pakse be much busier and less safe?

Thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 10/4/2011 - 11:32

• Advertisement

• laoelephant

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2011

Hi there,
    Having lived in Laos for 3 years I think you’ll be fine down south over Pi Mai. Most locals prefer to head north to Luang Prabang for New Year, not south. There may be the odd day here & there where it’s a bit harder to find accommodation (recommend you book preferred accomm in advance before just rocking up). I wouldn’t worry about the roads down south – they’re as safe as you’re gonna get in Laos.
    With the tourist season is now coming to an end, most workers in the tourism industry will be very happy for your patronage (and will of course try to overcharge you so they can have extra Pi Mai party money). Have fun!

#2 Posted: 11/4/2011 - 10:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.