Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Laos or Cambodia?

• GermanCoast-
    girl

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2011

Hi All,
    I have already posted in the Cambodia forum and would like your input on the following route planning:
    I will be travelling SEA for 6 weeks in Feb/March 2012. First three weeks with my son, last 3 weeks my husband will join.
    I have now taken some weeks (besides working/family life) to think of further planning and would like you to give me your feedback on the following planned route (I know, I still have sooo much tíme left but planning is also soooo much fun !)

3 weeks alone with my son:
    --> Arrival in BKK (stay 2 days)
    --> train to Vientiane (stay ~2 days)
    --> bus to VangVieng (stay ~2 days)
    --> bus to LP (stay 4-5 days)
    --> Any suggestions for the rest of the trip from LP on until we pick up my husband after 3 weeks in BKK?
    --> LP to Chiang Mai ?? Then train to BKK and 2 days on the beach in Pattaya for kid to relax and see some sea?

another 3 weeks with the family:
    --> back to BKK to pick up Daddy (stay 2 days)
    --> fly to Siem Reap (stay ~5 days with Angkor Wat)
    --> bus to Battambang (~2 days including Bamboo train)
    --> anything else around?
    --> bus to Trat
    --> KoChang (~5 days)
    --> back to BKK and back home ;-(

Now, here are my questions and my dilemma:
    Facts: My husband is really tall, he has never been to Asia before (and I don't want to spoil it, grin!!), he wants culture/history but also relaxing times....

This is my current understanding from the countless threats I read:
    Laos seems to be extremely beautiful and relaxing, perfect landscape, stuff for kids,.... but uncomfortable in travelling. I definitely want to go there...
    Cambodia is extremely interesting regarding temples (Angkor Wat a MUST) and history, close to the Beach.

I am now not sure at all whether it would be a pity for my husband not to see Laos as this could be a good introduction into Asia or if the currently planned route is fine because Cambodia is as beautiful as Laos....
    I could also completely drop Cambodia and just travel Thailand with my son and travel up to North Laos with the family.... But, I suppose, I would find it a pity not to travel to Cambodia at all....

Do I sound confusing? Well, I am ;-)

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas !!
    Birgit

#1 Posted: 19/4/2011 - 20:17

• Advertisement

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Its impossible to say which will be best for you, though for culture/history and relaxing times you seem to have a pretty good plan for when Daddy is around. Whatever you do, there will be something you have to miss, sadly.

How old is your son ? How well does he travel ? The journeys you plan in Laos are quite long - they can be a little uncomfortable, but they are not REALLY bad. However, if your son is very young you may want to take that into account. I guess with a young child the fewer places the better - not too much travelling.

One thing my wife & I love about SEA is that we are really tall there - we often tower over people, yet are only 5 ft 8 and 5 ft 4. Places are designed for smaller people, I guess, but I doubt your husband will have any discrimination due to his height. Just more discomfort. Having said that, we befriended a really tall German guy a few years ago in Thailand - when we wandered around I would often see Thais giggle into their hands when they saw him. He was tall, mind you - at least 6ft 7 and beanpole thin. Out of interest, how tall is your husband ?

#2 Posted: 20/4/2011 - 16:54

• GermanCoast-
    girl

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2011

Hi Nokka, thanks for your reply....

My son just turned 5, so will be close to 6 when we travel. He is cool, open and falls asleep without probs. So, I don't worry much about him.
    My husband is not THAT tall (1,92m) but is always whining about not having enough space in planes and buses. This is what I worry about but to be honest: He has to make it somehow. This is life and I just want him to experience this great feeling of a backpacker (that I was having with my Ex in former times) and that he just needs to share with me.... he will survive, I am sure. ;-) I am lucky with 1,54m !! ;-)) But I am interesting too (my experiences from India) because I am a red-head.... So, we will be a "funny couple"... but open to it all. I am used to Indians staring and glaring at me and I know that SEA is not as "bad" as India was (which I really loved !!).
    I think, I will do Laos with my son and Cambodia with hubby and son as otherwise we won't be able to do beach.....
    Geez, I want to fly tomorrow ..... ;-))))
    Cheers from Germany,
    Birgit

#3 Posted: 21/4/2011 - 00:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.