Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Alternative travel out of Huay Xai

• doedeer

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011

Hello

Currently in the process of planning a trip around Thailand and Laos in August. Me and my girlfriend will be travelling up through Chang Rai into Huay Xai in order to do the Gibbon experience in Bokeo. Following that we will be looking to move on to Luang Prabang .

We dont fancy the slow boat and i have read that travelling by road can be treacherous in the rainy season so not recommended. Flights out of Huay Xai are only to Vietienne as i understand so i was wondering if it is feasible to pass back down into Thailand and fly from Chang Mai into Luang Prabang from there. Is this a stupid idea? (not to bothered about the extra cost).

Cheers

#1 Posted: 21/4/2011 - 03:10

• Advertisement

• SEQfunbod

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2009

My dad - brucemoon - has travelled on the road from Huay Xai to Luang Nam Tha several times, and says it is bitumen all the way. I did the road from Luang Prabang to Luang Nam Tha last year and it is being upgraded so is slow and dirty. But only travel on large public buses as they are safe. Don't go on the 'express' mini vans as the drivers are really dangerous. Luang Nam Tha and Muang Sing are really worth the effort.

#2 Posted: 24/4/2011 - 07:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.