Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Cost of living....

• Brainfreeze

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2007

I just arrived in Luang Prabang yesterday and I immediately noticed that generally it is a little bit more expensive than Thailand! This came as a suprise to me and my girlfriend as we had heard from many people that Laos would be cheaper... is there anyone else that has noticed this and does anyone know if we will find many places that are cheaper than Luang Prabang?

#1 Posted: 9/1/2007 - 14:55

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi BrainFreeze,

Welcome to Travelfish!

Luang Prabang is just about the most expensive spot in Laos and pretty much everywhere else in the country (except perhaps for Vientiane) is cheaper.

#2 Posted: 9/1/2007 - 15:40

• Brainfreeze

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2007

Thanks alot somtam2000 :) like I said, we have only just arrived, seeing such high prices has been very discouraging, enough that we have begun to wonder whether Laos is really worth the money. I came here without any information about Laos and I have been unable to find a guide book in Luang Prabang although thanks to travelfish I haven't been entirely lost. I know a little about the more travelled areas of Laos but nothing at all about the less touristic parts. It depends on what you are looking for since travelling can offer different experiences to everyone, maybe it's a difficult question to answer but what might i expect from traveling through Laos?

#3 Posted: 9/1/2007 - 20:42

• skinnylatte

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2005

I noticed the same thing, but mostly because the restaurants and cafes along the main tourist strip (night market area) was charging in USD and... well let's just say a regular meal in these places worked out to be much more expensive than even back in my own country!

We gave up on the expensive tourist restaurants after a day, and wandered along the alleys with local markets and foodstalls. There we would be able to buy 2 bowls of noodles, one whole big barbecued fish, two legs of chicken, a bottle of Beer Lao, a serving of papaya salad, a bag of dessert... all for less than USD3 (less than the cost of ONE dish in the tourist restaurants). Food was MUCH better too. Just wander around, and you'll be fine. Another good place to eat is along the riverbank, where things are mostly cheaper.

Also try to pay in Kip whenever possible, because with the Kip pegged to the USD at 10 000 K to USD1, even though it is convenient to pay in USD or baht, you're losing US$0.10 to US$0.15 for every 10000kip in each transaction, which can add up. We learned this the hard way.

#4 Posted: 11/1/2007 - 20:59

• Brainfreeze

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2007

Thanks alot skinnylatte :) You have certainly provided some very pleasing information! I will be sure to hunt around the market for some cheap food! I have Been in Muang Ngoi for 3days and have just arrived in Luang Prabang this evening. If you haven't yet been to Muang Ngoi I recommend it for a few days at least. Although it is a very small village, it is becoming quite developed. There are some beautiful views and scenic trails from the village and accomodation and food is cheap. Well I'm going to find some food! If you're currently travelling, have a wonderful trip!

#5 Posted: 15/1/2007 - 17:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cost of Living ... By tokyobelle on 9 Jul 2006 7 2311 11 Jul 2006
Thailand - cost of living ... By tommy1305 on 21 Jul 2010 5 3093 20 Aug 2010
Cost of living (not traveling) in SEA ... By buecax on 28 Apr 2014 31 1601 6 May 2014
Cost of living - Thailand ... By tommy1305 on 21 Jul 2010 0 2000 21 Jul 2010