Flag of Laos

Laos forum

How can I get from Bangkok to Luang Prabang?

• Knigel

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2011

Hello, I am a Canadian traveling from Koreato Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi airport on May 12th and will be returning to KoreaMay 22nd. I have been to Thailand for a week before, so this time I intend tohead to Laos right away and then spend most of my time there. I am planning my itinerary now and trying to decide a cheap way to get to Laos from Bangkok. I do not want to take a plane and would like to do something convenient, but still adventurous or scenic. My main mission for this trip is to take photos, but not to spend too much time traveling between locations. If possible, I would like to go into Laos in one way and leave in another. I don't want to backtrack.

I am curious, my main destination is Luang Prabang; however, if I'm coming in from Bangkok, are there any other destinations along the way that I definitely should not miss out on going there or coming back? Any place I should spend a couple of days?

I apologise if these questions have been asked many times before, I'm still researching, but I'm trying to get some concrete notions about Laos since right now it seems like some imaginary and intangible realm.

Also, I like to eat food that I have never tried before. I like to experience things such as scorpions, dog soup, sea horses, and so on. Is there anything in Laos that I should try?

If anyone wants to meet up with me, I'd love to eat some food with you. Or, you can just laugh at my facial expressions while I challenge my taste buds and my stomach. Photographs are permissible ^_^

#1 Posted: 2/5/2011 - 13:24

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Take the overnight train from Bangkok to Nong Khai. Get a tuk tuk to the Friendship Bridge and do your Thai and Lao immigration and visa stuff. Take a bus or tuk tuk into Vientiane and spend a couple of nights there.
    Then take a bus to Luang Prabang , but break the journey in Vang Vieng. Yes there is drunken gap year trash there, but they can be avoided and the scenery is fantastic. Then continue your journey to Luang Prabang.
    We don't have sea horses or dog soup here in Lao, but when in Luang Prabang I suggest you go to Tamnak Lao and try some Lao food including Orlam. Don't get fooled into eating at Tamarind which markets itself as serving authentic Lao food, but has toned it down to western tastes. In Vientiane i would suggest eating at Amphone - in the small soi next to the Jazzy Brick bar- the food is very good.

#2 Posted: 4/5/2011 - 16:47

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

dog food like dog bbq and dog soup can mainly be found southern laos at local places nearby pakse and champasak. I've eaten crazy things over there I don't even know what it is.

as rufus suggest: train to Nong Khai and get to the border into vientianne. vientianne is nice and has good some good places to eat as well (outside of town). Vang Vieng is beautiful and you can indeed skip the drunken parties over there.

Just came back from Vang Vieng and Vientianne about 1,5 week ago. though temperatures are dropping already a little bit in these areas (around 34-35°) which was way to cold for me!

Still flying would be the best option, saves you a lot of time and you can think about what you want to do when you're in Luang Prabang.

#3 Posted: 4/5/2011 - 20:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Flying from Bangkok to Luang Prabang ... By WithcottKate on 13 Dec 2013 4 1003 30 Dec 2013
Bangkok to Luang Prabang/Vientiane ... By mattza on 29 Apr 2008 16 21689 7 May 2008
Flights from Bangkok to Luang Prabang ... By jeffpruett on 7 Jun 2010 4 4227 9 Jun 2010
time is running out! luang prabang --> bangkok help ... By walkingtrees on 18 Aug 2010 0 1863 18 Aug 2010
Odd prices for Bangkok-Luang Prabang flights ... By lioninzion on 18 Feb 2007 3 2994 21 Feb 2007
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9592 19 Aug 2011