Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Help greatly appreciated! Cambodia/Laos - 2 months

• JarrodPace

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2011
    Location Australia

Hi all

I am planning to spend a month in Cambodia followed by a month in Laos later this year (Oct/Nov). Bangkok is where I will fly into and out of the region. I would like to find a balance between seeing as much as I can in these two countries whilst not rushing through every town.

I have never travelled before, let alone to the region, so I was wondering if anyone experienced would be able to suggest a good route to take for this trip and which places are good to spend a little time in and which are not that worthwhile.

Thanks heaps.

#1 Posted: 7/5/2011 - 13:36

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Before we can help, we need to understand what sort of trip you are after. What interests you - temples, beaches, trekking, nature and wildlife, shopping and big city life, moon parties? What is not worthwhile to you could be very worthwhile to me.

There is a wealth of info on this website and in the forums - but it can be overwhelming at first. I would suggest that you start here: http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/ and browse through some of the suggested itineraries. You will soon discover what grabs your interests and can go from there. At the bottom of each itinerary is a table of travel times between locations for trains, buses and flights - invaluable to get an idea of how much travel time you will need to allow for.

The key thing is - don't try to do too much. A month in Laos and a month in Cambodia is a great and will allow you to do it a a reasonable relaxed pace.

I myself am planning a month in Laos in Oct as well. I could share my plans with you - but with possible differences in age, interests, etc I don't know how much help it would be. For example, I have absolutely no interest in going to Vang Vieng so going there would probably be a waste of time - ie not worthwhile. But if you are a younger 20-something who likes to party it up, it may be worthwhile.

Check out the itineraries in the link above, and tell us a bit more about what you are looking for - and we can all chip in to give you some ideaas.

#2 Posted: 7/5/2011 - 14:16

• JarrodPace

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2011
    Location Australia

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I am a little overwhelmed, yeah. Want to make the best of things when I'm over there. Not really interested in partying too much. Can get drunk here at home! lol... Want to see the main sights of course and beyond that would be nice to immerse myself in the cultures of the region a little bit. Interested in the people, the temples, and the history of the place. Also want to spend some time in areas of natural beauty; river cruising, jungle trekking, etc.

#3 Posted: 7/5/2011 - 19:28

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Captain_Bob and I gave a reply to someone thinking about Laos for 15 days, and put a North and a South Itinerary on the board - I gave a really rushed highlight option as well:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/laos/14423_best-route-with-only-15-days-to-spare-

If you're coming in from the South you will first want to stop at 4,000 Islands to relax for a few nights, you could then spend a couple nights at Champasake - it is a very nice, friendly, laid-back town that happens to sit between the Mekong river and ancient Wat Phu. Some relaxing time in Pakse and a trip into the Bolaven Plateau will slow your roll down a little - you can rent a motorbike and the trip is not that difficult. Maybe even make a new friend to take along with you before you go. If you just want the highlights you could do the short loop from Tad Lo to Paksong and see some nice waterfalls.

Bolaven Plateau
    http://www.travelfish.org/feature/83

Some old Travelfish guides for Champasake Province and the Remote South - a little outdated on information but the basics are all there:
    http://www.travelfish.org/free-travelfish-guides.php

Since you have a month you could stop in Savannakhet on the way up to Vientiane for a night or two - and from there you've got the North to explore. Depending on if you want to enter Thailand from the North (sounds like no - better to enter near Vientiane and head straight back to BKK) you can station yourself to see different things from Luang Prabang. Heading up to Luang Nam Tha for some trekking or to Nong Kiaow and Muang Ngoi for more relaxing river side towns (closer to your BKK return as well). I also highly recommend Phonsovan, but that's because I'm into history, you can read my review of the place on this site. VV I can't say anything about.

Really, with a rough idea of what there is to see you should be fine with a month so long as you set yourself a few signpost dates to make sure you're not lallygagging too much in one spot.

#4 Posted: 8/5/2011 - 08:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Help greatly appreciated! Cambodia/Laos - 2 months ... By JarrodPace on 7 May 2011 6 3149 15 Jun 2011
First timer...you advice greatly appreciated! ... By JustBreathe on 12 Oct 2012 2 1409 13 Oct 2012
First time in South East Asia, itinerary for 3 weeks! Any advice greatly appreciated! ... By Pixa2012 on 14 Jan 2012 7 14823 12 Feb 2012
Laos and Cambodia Trip - planning stages - comments appreciated! ... By Jacster on 12 Aug 2006 12 2878 17 Aug 2006
Itinerary advice needed for Cambodia, laos and Thailand - any thoughts much appreciated! ... By hjbvet on 27 Oct 2010 4 3167 31 Oct 2010
2 months in SÊ-Asia - feedback on trip details much appreciated! ... By Seba on 30 Sep 2009 8 2579 2 Oct 2009