Flag of Laos

Laos forum

possible tubbing tragedy in Laos

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I've just come down from Stung Treng and travellers coming through from Laos are talking about a girl who was drowned tubing last week. Can anybody verify the truth of that as it seems once again it was someone not wearing a lifejacket.

#1 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 10:08

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Didn't hear about it, but would it surprise anybody? No!

#2 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 12:17

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

wearing a lifejacket in vang vieng ? never heard of it, unless you go kayaking.
    **** happens every year in vang vieng. people get drunk and do stupid things. I was there 3 weeks ago and there were a lot of people compared to a few years ago.

If you go, just take care of yourself!

#3 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 14:45

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

I thought that safety was the number one concern of those running these tubbing tours...

#4 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 14:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

As with all businesses, money is the number one concern.

#5 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 23:02

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Just think of it as another Darwin award.

#6 Posted: 15/5/2011 - 13:38

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"Tubbing accident"?
    Slipped on the bar of soap again :-(
    Sorry RIP

#7 Posted: 15/5/2011 - 22:21

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

The rumour going round Vang Vieng itself was that the most recent death was somebody that was pushed rather than somebody that jumped...

I can't confirm whether there's any truth in that particular aspect of the story that but I can confirm that the ziplines have been dismantled (at least for the short term) after the local police showed an interest, with the hastily-introduced "no climbing" signs in some cases sitting alongside the "climb for free bucket" signs. Shots of whisky are still flowing freely though so the place hasn't become safe overnight.

#8 Posted: 25/5/2011 - 20:16

• schmuly

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2011

Can someone tell me more about the Tubbing? Do you have to join a tour? Is it one area that it is done in? Does it usually run everyday?

#9 Posted: 26/6/2011 - 15:44

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

No. Along the river. Yes.

#10 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 10:03

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

The tubing (not tubbing - which brings visions of floating down the river in a bathtub!) is done in Vang Vieng . Vang Vieng is the party town in Laos. I haven't done it but there has been lots of info on this site. There are plenty of places to hire tubes from, and plenty of bars to get drunk at. It runs every day, day and night by the sounds of it. It also sounds like my worst nightmare! Check out some of the videos on YouTube - that will either spark your interest - or put you off.

#11 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 10:38

• gregwalsh100

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2011

Does anybody know anything about the floods n Vang Vieng over the last few days? Bus from Vientienne was cancelled yesterday with roads flooded and rumour has it that only one bar on the river and pretty much all the hotels in the town are closed at the moment...... although buses are travelling today!? Any ideas? Thinking of bypassing now and trying to go straight to Luang Prabang!

#12 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 10:39

• robh181

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2011

I'm here in VV. Yes tubing has temporarily been suspended due to the high river level. In fact, the entire "party island" is submerged in several feet of water and 2 out of the 3 bridges to the island have been washed away. Asked a travel agent today when it was suppose to resume and he said minimum 2 days, probably a few more if it continues to rain. I took the bus from LP down to here and there have been several landslides and the 6 hour bus took 11 hours. Not fun. My suggestion is - if you can - wait a few days to come here.

#13 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 20:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.