Flag of Laos

Laos forum

budget travel

• rachelgreen-

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2011

Hi all, I just bought my plane ticket to Thailand which was about 1600USD. I will be staying from July 26th to August 23rd. I have a question regarding my daily budget. I will be there for about a month so I was planning on about 1500USD to have while i backpacked. This will give me about 50USD a day. This will be enough for my daily expenses correct?

I currently have very little itinerary planned, could anyone suggest a good one that involves the beaches to the south, as well as the north.

Also what size backpack would be sufficient. I was planning on a 35 liter. will this be big enough?

#1 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 13:09

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Yes. $50/day is workable.

What size backpack to bring?

If you travel light, 35 liters is fine. 40 liters is a good compromise of portability and carrying capacity. 50 liters and larger are just too big, IMHO, unless you are bringing along trekking/camping gear.

See here:
    http://www.travelindependent.info/whattopack.htm

#2 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 15:39

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Personal choice but I usually take about 20 litre bag and get used to wearing the same three shirts all the time and washing daily. When in doubt leave it out! Weather is warm and wet in July/August but a simple folding umbrella beats packing extra wet weather gear that just makes you sweaty anyway. I pack one soft pullover/sweater for evenings and everything else is minimal and light weight. A decent pair of walking shoes is worthwhile and cheapo flipflops to let your dogs breathe occasionally.

Logical route Bangkok a couple days to get over the jetlag and culture shock factor then head north to Chiang Mai (sleeper train can be a fun way). Spend at least a week in the far north, trekking, elephants, cooking course, markets, rent a scooter if you have riding experience to explore them hills. Air Asia has cheap flights from Chiang Mai to Phuket or get down to Chumphon via Bangkok and head for Ko Tao - Ko Phangan - Ko Samui which are drier that time of year and there are some non-touristy little gems along that east coast. You might also shoot over to Krabi and hit Railay beach or Ko Lanta but it might be a tad wet there in August (and it's Ramadan time so many Muslim-owned places shut down). Khao Sok national park is excellent for jungle trekking and boat rides on the humungo lake but again might be rainy. Closer to Bangkok cheack out Kanchanaburi for a few days (too much for a daytrip) as well as Ayutthaya and maybe hit Ko Samet at the end to "tan-up" before heading home.

And yes $50/day will do fine most places but in general the southern beachspots are more expensive than the north.

#3 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 16:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.