Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Two trips to Laos

• Phoenix66

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2011

Hi,

I'm planning to go to Laos twice on my south east Asian travels. The first time will be with a tour company and I'll be flying in from Chang Rai and then spending 6 days there. I would then like to go back and spend more time there (say a couple of weeks) and am likely to return about 6 to 10 weeks later. What should I do about visa? Also, would it be ok to just get a visa when I'm there or should I get one before I go?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 29/5/2011 - 19:37

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

You can get a Visa on arrival with little hassle. Cost depends on your passport but will be between 20 - 30 USD (plus you get service with a smile for the extra dollar charged at some places to get your passport back . . . don't expect a receipt for that bit). When crossing borders always bring a couple of extra passport sized photos - I've had some points as for them and others didn't bother, but better safe than sorry. Be sure to bring USD for the purchase of the visa as if you pay in Baht it is more expensive.

Where are you going for 6 days with the tour groups? What do you plan to do on the return trip?

#2 Posted: 30/5/2011 - 07:25

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

You will need to get 2 visas to Lao as Lao does not have multi entry visas.
    Get your visa on arrival.

#3 Posted: 30/5/2011 - 08:15

• Phoenix66

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2011

Hi,
    The British Foreign and Commonwealth website seemed to recommend getting a visa beforehand but if I could get one on arrival, that would be great. I take it that I just get a visa for each of the trips I make to Laos then?
    Caseyprich - the tour goes to Pakbeng, Lunag Prabang, Vang Vieng and Vientiane. I then plan to go back for two weeks and just spend more time in those places as well as seeing Wat Phou. I'm open to recommendations though.

#4 Posted: 30/5/2011 - 21:05

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I'm not sure where you'll be coming back into Laos - but if you are in Cambodia or BKK, or Central Vietnam you could start off by entering in the South of Laos.

You could base out of Pakse in the South and head south to Wat Phu and Champasake just two hours from Pakse, an easy place to spend two nights minimum. Only a few hours furthers south you've got 4,000 Islands, some people end up getting lost there for two weeks, for me it was nice for three or four nights to really unwind.

Heading in a different direction, west by motorbike - though you can hire a car if you like, you can go up to the coffee growing and pioneer feeling town of Paksong (hitting a few waterfalls on the way). Also - there is Tad Lo which is a very rustic little village at the foot of a trio of waterfalls that you can swim around.

That said - there is also still a lot to see around Luang Prabang and if you want to go further afield there you could hit Nong Kiaow and Phonsovan.

#5 Posted: 31/5/2011 - 06:46

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Gotta love a well programed bot.

#6 Posted: 3/6/2011 - 21:48

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

" I take it that I just get a visa for each of the trips I make to Laos then?"
    Yes, there is absolutely no need to get a visa beforehand.

#7 Posted: 4/6/2011 - 16:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.