Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Popping across border to Nong Khai and back?

Posted by busylizzy on 16/6/2011 at 06:14

Hey there - this is possibly a stupid question, but hey, it won't stop me from asking.

I was just wondering if that's possible from Vientiane to Nong Khai (and back)? I am flying into Vientiane, but if this was possible, I would like to go to NK for the day - without needing another visa to come back into Laos. (I think that I have read previously that this can be done from Thailand into Myanmar (and back).....)

I've scoured around but haven't come across the answer anywhere...

#1 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by exacto on 16/6/2011 at 08:37

hey lizzy,

truth is, i don't know the answer either, but i'd be surprised if you could leave and re-enter the country on the same visa, since the lao embassy in bangkok says that all types of visas are issued for one entry and must be used within two months of issue date (except for multi-entry visas which are only available from the MFA's consular department).

hey, even if you have to pay twice, it's only $35 or so. why sweat that, considering how much you'd pay just to get to nong khai anyway. maybe you could work in an overnight to make it really worth your while. or you could always change your route and fly into udorn and do an overnight in nong khai on the way to laos.

when are you going?

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,630
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Rufus on 17/6/2011 at 01:57

You will need to get another visa. All visas are single entry.

#3 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by busylizzy on 17/6/2011 at 03:21

OK thank guys, that's what I thought. Now that I think it about it more, my comment about the Thai/Myanmar border is completely irrelevant since you get free visa entry back into Thailand anyway. Not sure what I was thinking?!

In response to your comments/questions exacto, I am heading over there late September. I only have 4 weeks (with another 1.5 weeks in Bali on the way home) - and after initially trying to squeeze 16 weeks of travel into that 4 weeks (which was going to include NE Thailand), I am having to be prioritise. I was originally going to fly from KL to BKK then overland from there, but have now decided to fly direct from KL to Vientiane to say some time so that I can focus on Laos. But since I will be so close to the border.... it's tempting.

And you are right, the $35 isn't really an issue one way or another. I guess the question is - what would I miss out in Laos to go there? Maybe I just leave the NE Thai corner for another trip to look forward to?!

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155

Posted by exacto on 17/6/2011 at 11:01

i think the views of the river are better in nong khai, but the beer is definitely better in vientiane. if you are going to be spending some quality time in other lao cities too with good riverside atmosphere, i'm not sure i'd make the big effort to head across to nong khai either. you'll know when you get there what to do.

i guess everything is relative, as four weeks sounds pretty good right now. will you be meeting up with somtam and company on bali? have a bintang for me, okay?

#5 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,630
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 17/6/2011 at 11:35

Am hoping to catch up with him, exacto. I'm sure I must owe him a Bintang or three for all the value that I get out of the site!

#6 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.