Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Pakse to Hanoi by bus - possible?

• Jimbobber

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2010

Hey, been looking but can't find any information about a bus route from Pakse into Vietnam.

Anyone have any info? Final destination is to be Hanoi, but wouldn't object to going to Hue or somewhere else.

Advice much appreciated!

Cheers, Jim

#1 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 13:41

• Advertisement

• Jimbobber

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2010

OK, managed to answer my own question with a little more research... so here is an answer for anyone else searching...http://bolaven.com/bus_vietnam.php

From the renewed southern busstation at km 8 departs every day buses to Vietnam. Buy your bus ticket at the busstation.The times are only an indication!! and are exact as published at the busstation.

There is a rough timetable and prices on the website.

Does anyone have any experience of doing a Pakse to Vietnam trip?

#2 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 15:58

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I have heard the Savanakhet - Hue trip is very long and very painful.

#3 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 16:50

• Jimbobber

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2010

great news!

It doesn't seem so far on the map (relatively speaking, compared to the Pakse - Vientaine trip which gets OK reviews) - is the road worse?

the timetable suggests 6.30pm leave Pakse, 10am arrive Hue. Add another 12 hours for Hanoi!

I guess I will have to grin and bear it as I don't have the cash to fly!

#4 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 16:57

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

We travelled 4,000 islands to Hue and on to Hanoi last January and it was painful indeed. It entailed a boat from the island, a big bus to Pakse, some confusion about which bus station to take us to, a tuk tuk ride to the Northern bus station, a 4+ hour wait (whilst looking at the tiny, crammed, uncomfortable minibus that was to be our onward transport - despite the fact that the person we'd booked with said it was a big bus) and a very uncomfortable and frequently scary ride to the border. A 3 hour wait at the border and then a few hours drive in Vietnam. We then waited for about 6 hours and took the overnight train to Hanoi.

But having said all that, I don't regret it and now it's just 48 hours of my life that I look back on and laugh about. Ha ha ha.

By the way - you mention the Southern Bus Station. I'd looked here in advance of going to 4,000 islands and they certainly listed buses to Hue. We argued the toss when we were dumped at the Northern station (I called the guy who'd sold us the ticket) but was firmly told that they left from the Northern station. So it might be that you will get ferried from the South to the North station if you buy direct.

#5 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 17:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.