Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Clueless about budget travel in Laos

• csawala

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2011

I will be in Cambodia until early-mid September, and would like to go up to Laos then onward through SE Asia.

Time is not an issue, but money is. I need to spread my moneys out in order to see everything from Thailand down to Bali if I can (including Philippines, and a whole lot of scuba diving along the way).

The question is whether to go straight from Cambodia, or get into Thailand first and go up from there. What are the easiest and/or cheapest ways to get there and back?
    Also, what are some of the recommendations for Laos?

#1 Posted: 20/6/2011 - 21:22

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

As far as transportation goes, bus is it. Air is expensive in Laos.

#2 Posted: 20/6/2011 - 23:18

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Laos is as cheap as you need it to be

What / where are you interested in seeing / going?

#3 Posted: 21/6/2011 - 02:39

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

You are not getting better replies because you aren't giving us any help. Where in Cambodia will you be? That helps people determine how to go about it as in what routes. What do you want to see or do in Laos? Then people an give you ideas. Don't say everything. There is know such thing as see everything. That just means see all the famous stuff people talk about. Others will only give you the non famous stuff. Research Laos in the places link at the top of this page and get back to us!

#4 Posted: 21/6/2011 - 05:48

• JoeWilde

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2011

Laos is extremely cheap compared to most places, it really depends on what kind of experience you want to have when you're down there. If you're going for Touristy then I would recommend Vang Vieng as a party area full of teenagers along the river and going tubing. However if you would prefer a more relaxing family-ish time than Vietiane is your place and if you want a kind of possibility of going for hiking etc... but still in a nice area then Luang Prabang is your best bet. But some more information is kind of necessary to answer this well

#5 Posted: 21/6/2011 - 09:09

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I would probably say that all three of those were fairly touristy.

Also, if OP is crossing from Cambodia he will be in Southern Laos (right?) so I would probably have a look at the TF section on this and see if anywhere interests you. I really want to go to the Konglor Cave (just a suggestion). You should also probably read this about the border crossing: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/84

If you decide Southern Laos does not look worth it for you then that would suggest heading into Thailand first then going into Northern Laos from there.

#6 Posted: 21/6/2011 - 23:34

• csawala

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2011

Sorry about the lack of info, allow me to elaborate a bit.

I will be coming from southern Cambodia, so I will probably be departing for Laos (direct or via Thailand) from Siem Reap.

I am an extremely easy-going guy, so I could do a bit of anything really. I love beautiful nature, water, meeting people and just enjoying the experience, so anything along those lines should be great. And if I can bring my DSLR along with me for any of this, all the better!

Luang Prabang sounds pretty nice, with its' "sleepy nature", but also Vang Vieng sounds good for a little more excitement and western food (I have spent nearly the last 2 years in Japan... even if it is Westernized, a proper pizza would go a LONG way to make me happy!)
    The Gibbon experience in Huay Xai also sounds pretty fun... I always did enjoy being in trees.

But like I said, very easy going, hence asking the veterans for recommendations. I am mostly concerned with how to go about getting in and around.

#7 Posted: 22/6/2011 - 14:13

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

If you are crossing from Cambodia into Laos by land, as above, you will be pretty far from Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng and Huay Xai.

If you are more interested in the North, might be quicker to cut into Thailand and go up through Nong Kai into Vientane then work you way up and across toward Huay Xai.

#8 Posted: 22/6/2011 - 20:31

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

If you're in Cambodia you may as well go into Southern Laos and check out Si Phon Don (4,000 Islands), stop in Pakse and if you have the time go into the Bolaven "awesome scooter ride" Plateau (http://www.travelfish.org/feature/83 or http://www.travelfish.org/feature/10) before heading up to the north to hit all the spots mentioned above. To save time and money just take the overnight bus from Pakse to Vientiane. From there you can go up to VV and LP . . . . possibly going through Luang Nam Tha for some hiking on your way to the Thai border at Huay Xai, and this will give you a chance to go through Chiang Mai on the way to Bangkok and see some of Northern Thailand. However, you'll be entering Thailand via land and will only get a two week visa, so if you want to take your time in Thailand you may consider the cost of a flight from Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai.

#9 Posted: 22/6/2011 - 20:39

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Seconded!

#10 Posted: 22/6/2011 - 22:48

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

"also Vang Vieng sounds good for a little more excitement and western food"

Food in VV is generally rubbish. The best western food by far in Lao can be found in Vientiane. Luang Prabang also has some good western restaurants.

#11 Posted: 23/6/2011 - 14:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Bangkok. You want western food, go to Bangkok. The German restaraunt in Sukhimvite on Soi 11 is better than in Germany! Larry's dive has great burgers. There is excellent western food all over that area. Laos... I don't even think they have a McDonalds in Laos - Rufus, McD's arrive in Vientiane yet?

#12 Posted: 23/6/2011 - 17:41

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Mook doesn't have a Mickey D's does it?

#13 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 07:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Hell no Casey. When it comes to food, we're in the stone age here.

#14 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 10:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Clueless: 10 days in Laos, What to DO? ... By boydie111 on 11 Mar 2009 6 8270 10 Jun 2009