Flag of Laos

Laos forum

looking for a driver

• jumosi

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2011

Hello together,

we (2 adults/1 children) are going to laos for 3 weeks in August this year. We visit Cambodia, Vietam, Thailand, India .... before so we know abaout asia. We are looking for a car, driver and guide. Our guesthouses we want to look for our self. We dont want to book a grouptour, because I'm a fotografer an i want to stop and to stay where I want. Does anybody know a company or a driver/guide for us?

Our tour should be like this:

BKK - Houay Xay
    Houay Xay - Vieng Phoukha
    Vieng Phoukha - Luang Namtha
    Luang Namtha - Muang Sing
    Muang Sing - Luang Namtha
    Luang Namtha - Oudoumxay
    Oudoumxay - Phongsaly
    Phongsaly - Muang Khoua
    Muang Khoua - Oudomxai
    Oudomxai - Luang Prabang
    Luang Prabang - Vang Vieng
    Vang Vieng - Vientiane
    Vientiane - BKK

Thanks for your help

Jumosi

#1 Posted: 22/6/2011 - 12:56

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I have used this guy in Vientiane a few times, and he can drive/guide all over Laos. Speaks decent English

Mr. Phan Tourist Information Taxi and Minivan Service
    Email khampanh_k@yahoo.com
    Tel. 856 20 56395971 or 020 77860631

#2 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 21:52

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

This isn't AS helpful as Bob's post above as I have no contact details for you. However, I did meet some people who hired a driver down in Southern Laos. I forget where exactly but near the border with Cambodia and, I guess, it would have had to have been the next town with a tourist office.

Anyway, they hired an air conditioned mini van for that province for $30.00 USD a day from the local tourist office. I think this was EACH but cannot be sure. Once the agreed period/rental was over they negotiated to keep the car and driver all the way up to Vientiane. I believe the cost of this was $60.00 USD a day. I could not say if this included petrol but I do know they had to give the driver enough money for Petrol to get back again from Vientiane.

No idea if this is a good/bad deal but at least it is a point of reference!

#3 Posted: 26/6/2011 - 02:21

• orlavanh

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2011

I would recomment Europcar. their driver know well all part of Laos, and also Cambodia, Thailand, or Vietnam. But I' m not sure about the rate. you can check with them www.avrlaos.com .

enjoy your trip!

#4 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 16:46

• Lucievandon-
    gen

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2013

Hello,
    I have been in contact with the driver Kamapanh.
    I'd like to know if you was satisfied with him ( his english speaking, his knowledge for what to see and discover in north and center of Lao).
    We will stay 17 days in may.
    He asks us 105$ /day excluding gazoil.
    Is it a good price?
    thank you very much for your reply.
    Best regards.
    Lucie from Belgium.

#5 Posted: 25/3/2013 - 10:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.