Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Homestay near Luang Prabang

• Eireann

Joined Travelfish
    28th June, 2011

Hi all

I plan on being in LP for 5 nights in late July and just wondering if its possible to do a village homestay anywhere nearby? Are there any local tour operators that offer this? I know its possible to do it further north but I don't want to have to travel too far (though a few hours cycle/trek is fine). I had originally planned to do this as part of a tour in Vietnam but I think the Laos experience would be a bit more authentic....

Thanks
    Eireann

#1 Posted: 28/6/2011 - 01:39

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

You can go stay at my father in laws house in Yasothon. He'll even give you work to do on the farm. It's 100% authentic - no non-Thais at all in that village, except when I go there to do a homestay. I suspect, though, you will find that authentic experience over-rated.

#2 Posted: 28/6/2011 - 08:30

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Are there any local tour operators that offer this?

just check at the various tour agency offices in the tourist part of town. there should be, cos a Lao friend who used to work for one of them as a trekking guide brought tourists to villages around Luang Prabang.

for authentic - try asking if a longer homestay can be arranged. almost all treks/tours = moving from village to village, spending only a short time (maximum one night) in each, just eating lunch or dinner, drinking, & then sleeping. you'll get a very different perspective by spending a longer time in one village, going through the 'full day cycle' of activities (read chores :P)...& as MADMAC said, you might end up with a different appreciation for the word 'authentic' ;)

#3 Posted: 3/7/2011 - 10:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9544 19 Aug 2011