Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

itinerary advice needed - too rushed?

Posted by MADMAC on 29/6/2011 at 01:39

You didn't explain why you start in Vientiane ? A long way from Vientiane to Paxse.

#1 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by malaysiangirl on 29/6/2011 at 01:41

My flight is from Kuala Lumpur to Vientiane :)

#2 malaysiangirl has been a member since 22/8/2010. Posts: 7
 Website 

Posted by malaysiangirl on 29/6/2011 at 01:42

Hello everyone [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

I'll be heading to Laos next week and have only 2 weeks for Laos and Vietnam (decided to do a little bit of both since I couldn't bring myself to choose between the 2 countries!

I've been to Laos before and spent my time there in the north, so this time I'd like to spend my few days in the south instead. My rough idea is as follows

tuesday- reach vientiane in the afternoon (flying in to here fr KualaLumpur), hop on the night bus to Pakse
wednesday - get fr Pakse to Champasak
thursday- look around Wat Phu and Don Daeng, maybe a homestay that night on Don Daeng
friday- find my way to Si Phan Don
saturday- relax!
sunday- get back to Savannakhet in time for the night bus to Hue

So my questions are:

1. Is there a direct connection between Vientiane and Champasak that wouldn't need me to stop in Pakse?

2. Is it possible to get back to Savannakhet from Si Phan Don in one day? And would I have to go to Pakse from the islands then take another bus to Savannakhet or is there a direct connection?

I'm aware my little plan sounds a bit rushed, but with so few days, that's what I could come up with.. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much! [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#3 malaysiangirl has been a member since 22/8/2010. Posts: 7
 Website 

Posted by malaysiangirl on 29/6/2011 at 01:43

Yikes, had no idea that an edit would change my main post to a reply! sorry if its confusing

#4 malaysiangirl has been a member since 22/8/2010. Posts: 7
 Website 

Posted by Rufus on 29/6/2011 at 03:52

Sorry but this is ridiculous. You will spend all your time on buses.
"Is there a direct connection between Vientiane and Champasak that wouldn't need me to stop in Pakse ?"
No, it is about 1 hour between Pakse and Champasak.

#5 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by malaysiangirl on 29/6/2011 at 08:18

@Rufus: You're right, I'll just take it slower and go with the flow.. and thanks for confirming abt Pakse-Champasak :)

#6 malaysiangirl has been a member since 22/8/2010. Posts: 7
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.