Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Recommendations for accomodation in Tha Khaek and Savannakhet

• sugarplum

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2007
    Total reviews: 3

We'll be travelling down to Tha Khaek and Savannakhet in the next few days and wondered if anyone can recommend any accomodation there. I checked the recommendations already in Travelfish and none have been posted that recently so wondered if anyone had found any gems they weren;t letting on about!

#1 Posted: 26/1/2007 - 19:03

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi sugarplum,

Welcome to Travelfish!

We've got a researcher in Savannakhet right now who'll be there till Monday -- I've dropped him a line asking for some quick recommendations. Will let you know.

#2 Posted: 26/1/2007 - 19:30

• DonMorgan

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2006

Hey Sugarplum,

I'm the Travelfish researcher in Savannakhet right now--I'm here writing up my research on the area. In terms of the guesthouse scene, not much has changed.

In Thakaek, the Thakeak Travelodge is still the number one place to stay. The dormrooms are 25,000 kip per night, fan doubles for 50,000, and the rooms in the long-house alongside the main building go for 90,000, but they are really spacious and beautiful. The nightly campfires are a great thing to do in the evening, even if you're not staying there. It's also the place to go for information and motorbike rentals if you're interested in doing the Konglor Cave Loop, which I highly recommend for those inclined.

The Travel Lodge often fills up, and there are no guesthouses in the immediate area, so you might want to try the Phou Khana Guest House, on Vientiane Road just west of the new Tourist Information Centre, which is right next door to a Ferris wheel, which is hard to miss. The tuk tuk drivers know where it is. Rooms start at 65,000. There are two higher-priced places along the river: The Mekong Kham Mouane Hotel, and the Sooksomboon, with are on either side of the boat landing--expect to pay upwards of 100,000 for most rooms.

In Savannakhet, the Xayamoungkhoun on Rastavongsouk Rd. is a great place with fan rooms starting at 50,000 kip, but there's a problem--the 'night club' across the street blasts music all evening every evening. I stayed there and found it hard to think straight. But if you plan to be out in the evening, the music stops at midnight. The Saisouk is still probably the best place, just south of the 'main square' and the prices haven't changed much at all--I thought it was a pretty cool place. My new favorite spot is the Souannavong Guest House on Sandna road, just south and across the street from the Savanbanhao and Savanphattana guest houses. It has singles and doubles for 3 and 4 USD with shared bath, and rooms with private bath and cable TV for 6.

Let me know if you need anymore info, and happy trails.

Don

#3 Posted: 26/1/2007 - 21:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Accomodation recommendations Kuala Lumpur? ... By Steve81 on 12 Aug 2010 9 5617 23 Nov 2010