Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

From Vietnam to Laos, and staying in laos for 3 weeks

Posted by norwayman on 20/7/2011 at 19:46

Hey travellers!
So, I'm going to SE ASIA after a trip in China, where I cross over to Vietnam to do the nothern part of the contry. The plan so far is to go from Hanoi to Laos somehow and somewhere.
The question is this: What is the best way to get in to laos, and do anyone have an itinerery suggestion for laos for 3 weeks..? thinking of ending the trip with the slowboat out to thailand (to chiang mai).
I have done some reading about the subject, but is it normal to travel straight from Hanoi to vientiane? isn't there a trip from Hanoi to somewhere northeast in Laos, so one can start the trip from there?
BTW: was wondering what people have to say about the south part of laos? is it worth going there just for the 40 000 islands thing?
A lot of questions here :p but i really appreciate all the ideas and suggestions you all have.
thank you so much! can't wait to travel!

BTW: I'm really into scenery, nature and hiking :p so that's the MAIN focus on the trip, but of course not the only thing that is important! hehe

#1 norwayman has been a member since 18/7/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by norwayman on 21/7/2011 at 19:52

REALLY NEED SOME HELP :p

hehe, thanks!

#2 norwayman has been a member since 18/7/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by caseyprich on 22/7/2011 at 22:18

Well - if you skip express and VIP buses you can easily get around Northern Laos and into Thailand within 3 weeks by using local buses. Less comfortable but a memorable experience.

You can cross into Laos around Sam Neua, spend a a night or two there and then take a local bus to Nong Kiaow - a pretty little town. North of Nong Kiaow is Muang Ngoi which as a stop is a bit overrun (at least it was in 2008) but has great hiking opportunities - you can only reach it by boat from Nong Kiaow. Plenty of time to then go to Luang Prabang and explore for a few days, maybe hit Vang Vieng and head to Vientiane. From there you can cross into Thailand easily. That wold be a very mellow pace.

Also, you could do the above a little more quickly so that you can double back up to Luang Nam Tha and Muang Sing to do some hiking or motorbiking up there - haven't been that way myself but hear good things. From there it'd be easy to cross the Mekong at Huay Xai and be in Northern Thailand.

I love Southern Laos, but the way I've traveled in Laos was to take 3 weeks in the North one year and then returned a few years later to do 3 weeks in the South. You can have a really nice time and some good long hikes if you just stick to the North.

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.