Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Travelling through Laos

• giroffle

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2011

Hi
    I am new to this site, but have been trawling it for a few days as my partner and I are travelling to SE Asia for three months in November beginning in Chiang Mai.In mid-Nov we start our trip in Laos (Hiay Xai --> Luang Prabang --> Vientiane --| STOP....all this is in hand (..so to speak) but from Vientiane I am not quite sure how to plan the next part

From there we want to head down to Cambodia and know the route we want to take...
    -->Savannakhet --> Pakse --> Champasak --> and onwards to Veun Khong --> Stung Treng
    but I can't decide on how to plan this, in terms of time to allot. I have read quite a bit and the information is hugely useful but I just can't decide on number of days to spend on this leg

I'd be grateful for any ideas or advice...and also the Laos Cambodia visa...should I leave this until I arrive in Pakse and book through a travel agent or can I do this earlier...is it necessary

Kind Rgds
    Carmel

#1 Posted: 28/7/2011 - 17:56

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Did you find this when you were having a rummage about? It contains the approximate time it takes to get between the different places and suggestions how long you spend in each place.

http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/southern-laos-holiday

#2 Posted: 28/7/2011 - 18:13

• giroffle

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2011

No SBE...but I have now and thanks very much for this

#3 Posted: 28/7/2011 - 18:16

• giroffle

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2011

that link is useful....my head is a bit mashed up with all this planning...the timings put things into a better perspective (wish there were more timings of all the From's and To's in Laos)....what about the visa though...my suggestion in the last para...could anyone shed any light on this....I know the most efficient way is to book with a travel agent through to Stung Treng....but when is the best time to book

#4 Posted: 28/7/2011 - 19:17

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Have you read through the Laos section of the website? There is some Border Crossing info there: http://www.travelfish.org/border_crossings/laos

#5 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 09:01

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Sorry - I probably should have pointed you to this section since you are crossing from Laos into Cambodia. http://www.travelfish.org/border_crossings/cambodia

Also - there has been some discussion here: http://www.travelfish.org/board/topic/visabordercrossings

#6 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 09:07

• giroffle

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2011

thanks BL and SBE...I shall pick up these links.....I think I'll opt for a straight through (with travel agent) from Pakse to Stung Treng

#7 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 14:24

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Have a look at this too. It says Cambodian visas are available at the Veun Kham - Dom Kralor border.

http://www.travelfish.org/location/laos/southern_laos/champasak/pakse

I think you just go to the border and get the Cambodian visa there ... not through travel agents. (You want to get a Cambodian visa at the border right? Visas for Laos aren't available at this crossing apparently)

#8 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 14:26

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

It takes a while to find out where Somtam keeps stuff sometimes ... bit like being in someone else's kitchen and not knowing which cupboard the coffee cups and sugar are in.

Be sure and use the search engine too ...brings up lots of relevant posts usually. There might be some more recent info in there.

#9 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 14:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.