Flag of Laos

Laos forum

First time Backpacker to Laos

• wengchun

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2011

Guys, do u think i manage to travel from Vietiane-Pakse-Luang Prabang- Van vieng- xieng khuong -Vietiane in 8 days? is really tough isnt it? cause i plan to spend few nites on sleeping bus. any advice? i going to Laos with a friend and i plan to explore on my own.

#1 Posted: 9/8/2011 - 10:20

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Is that the order that you plan to travel in? If so, it doesn't make much sense, esp if going overland. Does your budget rule out flights?

Can you arrive in Pakse instead of VTE? If so, I would consider:
    Pakse -> VTE -> XKH (fly) -> VTE (fly) -> VV -> LPG

Or given the relatively short period, skip out on Pakse altogether. How long were you going to be there anyhow? Unless you plan on travelling around the Plateau I don't believe there is much in Pakse itself.

I would suggest you check out the planning itineraries on this site. This would in particular might be most suitable for 8 days: http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/laos-one-week-holiday. There is good info about transit time between locations. Don't underestimate how long the travelling time is between destinations.

#2 Posted: 9/8/2011 - 10:39

• wengchun

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2011

Yeah. actually is a budget trip. i found is too rush if i wanted to travel to these places in 8 days. i plan go take sleeping bus as my transport. The problem is my flight is arrives at Vientiane and depart at Vientiane as well. rush hours in Laos, should i skip Pakse? gona missed Tadfane waterfall and 4000 islands. anyway,thanks for the advice! is great to have ppl reply my post =)

#3 Posted: 9/8/2011 - 10:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I would skip Paxse and do it some other time. Eight days: Vietiane-Luang Prabang- Van vieng- xieng khuong -Vietiane, that is still rushed. I would say Vientiane, VV, Luang Prabang. That still gives you no more than three days in one location. It ain't a lot. Paxse? Too far if you can't fly, and too much even if you could.

#4 Posted: 27/9/2011 - 12:09

• kiwigirlnz

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2011

I agree with madmac. Bus from LP to VV alone takes about 6 hrs! We did 2 nights Vientiane, 3 in VV and 3 in LP and that was plenty although I don't see how you could spend less than 2 nights in any of these places. In any case, you don't need to book accomodation or transport in Laos so you could change your trip as you go - that is the beauty about SE asia!

#5 Posted: 29/9/2011 - 07:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
First time Backpacker!!! ... By potta_boro on 3 May 2011 7 3112 4 May 2011
First time backpacker ... By rossm18 on 6 Apr 2014 9 1005 7 Apr 2014
First time backpacker to Cambodia ... By juulie on 13 May 2006 12 3922 1 Jun 2006
First time solo backpacker in SEA ?? ... By Intrepid82 on 29 Jul 2009 2 4772 29 Jul 2009
First-time backpacker to Cambodia, need some advice! ... By NatetheGreat092 on 9 Sep 2013 52 5652 20 Sep 2013