Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang - Need advice

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I am planning to go from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang via slow boat in Chiang Khong/Huay Xai. A few things need your advice:

1. Is it worthwhile to book the slow boat thru an agent at Chiang Mai first, or at Chiang Khong, or just hop on one in Huay Xai? Any chance of being ripped off?

2. What time is the bus leaving Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong? Arrival time? What is the latest fare? Should I take bus or private minivan, or any better options?

3. How long does it take to clear immigration at Huay Xai?

4. If I get the earliest bus from CMai, can I make it to the slow boat avoiding spending a night in HXai?

5. Is the experience any different if I travel the opposite way: LPrabang - HXai by boat?

6. What months to avoid travelling by boat on this route, either when the river is too flooded, or the river is too dry?

Appreciate any feedback.

#1 Posted: 16/8/2011 - 23:24

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

1. Book slow boat package in Chiang Mai for around 1500 baht if you want the convenience factor and to hook up with other travellers before the 2-day boat ride. Or make your own way up to the border and buy a slow boat ticket at the boat ramp for about 900 baht.

2. Best bus option is the 8:30am Green Bus from Chiang Mai Arcade bus station for 292 baht arriving to Chiang Khong around 3pm. Or take a minivan 400 baht (same vans as the "package" deal) which leave CM at 10am and noon.

3. Immigration takes longer during the "rush hour" roughly 8-10am when the majority of people are crossing over. Laos visa on arrival can take up to an hour then, but in the afternoon it's very quiet and just takes a few minutes.

4. No, not enough time. Slow boats leave at 11am and CM-CK is at least 6 hours.

5. LP-HX is generally a lot less crowded than the more popular downstream direction, but it's a bit slower too and you probably end up arriving in HX too late for the border (6pm) and have to spend a night in HX.

6. Only time I've seen the slow boats halted was due to very low water late-Feb to mid-March last year. They otherwise pretty much run year-round, even during record flood levels the past few years in July/August.

#2 Posted: 17/8/2011 - 01:39

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007

Thanks Bob for your speedy reply-great info too. Come to think of it, I might change my sequence and go to Laos first, then enter Thailand thru HX, so that I can have a more spacious boat trip since it's against the flow. If so, would it be the same departure time from LP for the slow boat trip? I guess I can put up with a night spent in HX, since I would have to do the same coming from the other direction anyway. I think the Mekong boat ride would be worth the trouble, would you think so?

The trip from VT to LP, from what I have read so far, there seems to be no boat ride-at least not for budget-conscious backpackers. How would you rate the bus ride? Would it be worth it to travel during daytime for the sights? It's a long trip-10 hours!

#3 Posted: 17/8/2011 - 16:41

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Vientiane to Luang Prabang bus trip I would do in the daytime for the scenery, and break the trip in Vang Vieng if you have time. Take a bus with open windows so you can see the scenery (sealed aircon buses with dirty windows can be frustrating for those who actually want to see the journey). Vang Vieng to LP is the most scenic (and precariously hilly) section.

In LP go to the boat ramp in town where you buy tickets for the slow boat. Ask the day before what time they leave, but come back next morning to buy the ticket (no need to go through an agent). It won't be the same "schedule" as the downstream version. Grab some extra food & drink, have a seat, remove watch and forget about time (bring a good book).

#4 Posted: 21/8/2011 - 10:11

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

agree with #4. try to get a window seat on the left side of the bus (best views are to the west), though there are some nice views to the east too, & the bus might make a rest stop at the lookout point near Phiengfa restaurant these days.

LPB to Pak Beng slowboat departs ~8.30+am, doesn't hurt to get there earlier. not sure if they can give you an exact departure time as it depends on how much stuff (anything from motorbikes to toilet bowls) there is to load onto the boat.

#5 Posted: 22/8/2011 - 08:42

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007

thank you both, great info...

#6 Posted: 22/8/2011 - 19:42

• schubef

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2011

hi guys. i am a newcomer to this forum and just read about the boat trip on the mekong.i have been thinking about that for a while and doing the same,i am not fusst on what stretch to take. but thanks this threat has given me some food for thought.might see you on one of the boats chopin,i will be there end september.thanks for the invo bob cheers fred

#7 Posted: 22/8/2011 - 19:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travelling Chiang Kong to Luang Prabang by long boat - Advice please!! ... By cellabella on 23 Feb 2007 5 2764 24 Feb 2007
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9424 19 Aug 2011
Itinerary Advice: Luang Prabang, Luang Namtha & Phongsali ... By jeanne1307 on 30 Oct 2013 2 1071 3 Nov 2013
Hanoi --> Vientane --> Luang Prabang --> Chiang Rai --> Chiang Mai ... By sophierose87 on 11 Jun 2010 2 4602 18 Jun 2010
Chiang Mai>Chiang Rai>Luang Prabang>Vientiene ... By mukapecah8 on 2 Sep 2009 9 9270 4 Sep 2009
fly from chiang mia to luang prabang or LP to BKK ... By lorna123 on 9 Nov 2010 3 1649 30 Dec 2010
luang prabang from chiang mai ... By rhess106 on 16 Nov 2008 3 2937 17 Nov 2008
Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang ... By Nokka on 19 Jul 2009 3 3739 20 Jul 2009
Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang? ... By JamieG on 19 Sep 2010 6 3885 22 Sep 2010
Luang Prabang to Chiang Rai ... By hmuscente1 on 28 May 2010 11 6236 20 May 2014